Power to the People

Members can post FOTR related pictures of Capital Park here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep them for later, save them to your hard drive!
Tom Macrery

Power to the People

Post by Tom Macrery »

Saturday saw the arrival at Capital Park of our power, a 6 KVA diesel generator. Now all we have to do is install it, finish wiring the coaches, hook it up, pour in the diesel, hit the starter motor, et voila - lights and a PA system!
Attachments
From bakkie to fork lift.
From bakkie to fork lift.
Take it away, Steve.
Take it away, Steve.
The bright yellow giant, almost 200 Kg
The bright yellow giant, almost 200 Kg
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Power to the People

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

It looks seriously heavy but well worth its weight! Note new member Daan, who retired from TFR recently as an ex steam then electric fitter.
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Success! The new generator caught at the first turn of the key. After reinstalling the battery, pouring in two liters of deisel, and about 1.5 liters oil, the motor was smooth and relativly quiet, but not silent. A lead then allowed John to happily grind away.
Attachments
The generator's innards had to be ckecked.
The generator's innards had to be ckecked.
jssm_picture_054.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Steve admires his perfectly working machine.
Steve admires his perfectly working machine.
jssm_20062009085.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
John has the honor of using the initial KVA output.
John has the honor of using the initial KVA output.
jssm_20062009086.jpg (89.46 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but didn't you have lights etc up to now in your FOTR coaches? Doesn't the coaches have their own dinamos? Diesel is so polluting and noisy.
Luca Lategan...
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

The only dynamo that works is on our caboose, so that's the only vehicle that truly has its own power. The regional manager's saloon has working batteries, so if we charge it from a shore supply before a trip it has power for a while. In the past we have run lights on several of our suburban coaches and our main line sleeper using car batteries. These power only 12 or 24 v DC lights.

We began wiring the coaches for 230 v AC operation some time ago, with a cable connected right through the train, but have only actually used it on the move a couple of times, eg a trip to Witbank with Reefsteamers using their generator car, and at least one trip with a noisy diesel generator sitting in the caboose. We often use it connected to shore supply when cleaning the coaches overnight between trips. Not all coaches are wired yet.

The intention is to have a generator on the train so that we can run not only lights but also a PA system and other things too.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Now I'm also informed, btw, why isn't the dinamos a viable option?
Luca Lategan...
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Some of the dynamos have serious problems, some are potentially working but have no belts. Most of the original coach batteries are beyond repair and we've had problems getting new ones. Given the amount of time and effort it would take to repair dynamos, belts and batteries, and given that we eventually want to run more than just lights (PA, fridge, maybe microwave or hotplate, etc), it seemed better to put our limited time and money into an AC supply.
M. Hardy-Randall

Post by M. Hardy-Randall »

I was surprised by the lack of safety equipment worn by the staff in the last picture. Where were the hi-vis jackets, hard hats with face guard, ear protectors, protective gloves and boots? And most dangerous of all, did the person standing on the rail have a working at height certificate?

Malcolm
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Spikkels has a hard head and Uncle John has been at it for so many decades that we reckon he is impregnable.

Seriously, though, we're pretty strict about safety on the footplate and onboard the train, eg high-vis vests and safety boots, as well as a high level of safety training, and similarly for staff on the ground around locomotives which are moving (or potentially moving). Workshop safety has proved more difficult to enforce. Hard hats, goggles, gloves, high-vis vests, etc have all been issued to regular staff, but you can lead a horse to water but you can't always make it drink...
M. Hardy-Randall

Post by M. Hardy-Randall »

John,

I put those comments in as a joke really. My daughter told me that if a person during their work needs to regularly climb onto a chair, etc., they require a 'Working at height certificate'!

All to do with Elf and Savetea.

Malcolm
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Malcolm. The joke was well appreciated, but I thought I'd better add the serious disclaimer just in case anybody representing the said elves looked in by chance. On one or two occasions we've even decided not to post interesting pictures in case they could be misinterpreted under a strict definition of H&S. Sad.
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Sorry, Guys, but if Elf & Savetea, E&S, is an inside joke, then I am an outsider. Tom
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Health and Safety
'ealth and safety
elf and savetea
Tom Macrery

Post by Tom Macrery »

Good one. I should have seen it a mile away!

Return to “FOTR Capital Park”