33. November 2008 - Interlude - Beside the seaside!!!!!!!!!

A Forum that is covering a build of a European HO layout at the Model Train Exchange.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

33. November 2008 - Interlude - Beside the seaside!!!!!!!!!

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Oh I would like to be be beside the seaside.....

Believe it or not this is actually a 1/87 railway accessory by Herpa - suitable I assume for a marina near the coastal railway..........

Chris J I know will be interested in this, as I know he is thinking of some sort of a boat for vacations, and this type of vessel would suit his lifestyle........
Attachments
c1.JPG
c1a.JPG
c2.JPG
Craig Duckham

Re: 33. November 2008 - Interlude - Beside the seaside!!!!!!!!!

Post by Craig Duckham »

Hi Kevin

Some info from herpa:

The almost 11 million Euros worth luxury yacht “Catwalk” from the KaiserWerft from Passau was the biggest exhibited yacht at a fair ever – in the beginning of 2006, it was presented at the “Boot” fair in Düsseldorf. But beforehand, in an unparalleled show of strength, it had to be transported from Passau to Düsseldorf – via Danube, Rhine and many kilometers of country roads. Back then, the heavy load was organized by the forwarding company Schenker. In the 1/87 scale, the ship also hits a new superlative: With a length of 46.5 cm and more than 150 single components, it exceeds all previous dimensions and sets new benchmarks for detailing. Enclosed with the yacht is a “stand” to display and present it appropriately.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Thanks for the corrections Craig, which I have done! Do you have it?
Craig Duckham

Post by Craig Duckham »

No I do not have it...yet. Have looked at the model many times at the Herpa stand at various shows in germany. Also the version on the back of a trailer in a ABNORMAL load set-up. But will use this model in my future Durban harbour.

There is a cheaper but similar luxury yacht from SIKU in HO scale. Both types would look great in a Harbour scene. The SIKU one would need a bit of detailing work.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

It is very classy, I agree. Problem is, on a layout it may be too outstanding in that it would become a focal point of note!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

But these scenic focal points are often what makes a truly outstanding layout, especially for those viewers who are not so interested in the operation of trains.

Return to “MTE Model Railway Layout Build #1 - HO European Layout.”