Looking for information and the history of SAr 15F 3007

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
John Messner

Looking for information and the history of SAr 15F 3007

Post by John Messner »

Greetings all,

My name is John Messner and I am the curator at the Museum of Transport, Glasgow in charge of the SAR 15F 3007 which was brought to the UK in the summer of 2007.

I have been collecting information, photos, and details of 3007 since that time and am sending out a request for help!

Do you have any information about the working life of 3007? At the moment I know it ended its life in Bloemfontein as a shunter, but firm details before this time have been hard to come by. Some shed listings have come to light, but nothing that gives an overall idea of what she was doing between 1945-1988.

How about any photographs of it in service? 3007 seems to have been a bit photo shy. I have been sent about 10 or so of 3007 in service, but the more the merrier.

Any help or leads to more information would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions on the locomotive or the plans for it in the new Riverside Museum of Transport (to open in 2011), I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks for your time and I am looking forward to hearing from members of the FotR Forum.

Yours

John Messner
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Looking for information and the history of SAr 15F 3007

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi John, Welcome! Great to see your first post. An intersting subject. Thanks for preserving 3007. I am sure there will be some people on this forum who can either directly help or know of someone who can. You know, of course, that we at FOTR recently restrored 3117 to service after some 17 years of standing. See here for pics of the event: http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=259
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

I see from some of my early spotting notes, that she was based in Kroonstad in the early 1970's. Will keep looking for more.
John Messner

Post by John Messner »

Nathan,

Thank you for your offer of help. We have her in Beaufort West Shed in 1975, taken from a shed listing (SAR Magazine perhaps) and in Bloemfontein from at least 1983.

As I mentioned before, any information about the history of 3007 would be of great use in trying to create a overall picture of what it did during its working life.

Cheers.

John

Return to “Railway Research”