Injectors

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Derek Walker

Injectors

Post by Derek Walker »

Todays topic: Injectors...
Can anybody enlighten me as to how the injectors work? I make the assumption that they sit between the tender and loco, is this a gravity fed device? a mere valve? obviously there is a lot more to it than mere shiney pipework and brass.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Brendon Anderson

Re: Injectors

Post by Brendon Anderson »

Very good question Derek. The water supply is gravity fed from the tender to the injector itself which is located just under the loco's cab. Normal practice is for one injector to be fitted on each side of the locomotive. Later classes such as the 25NC and GMAM had both injectors fitted on the fireman's for easy access since the fireman operates the injectors most of the time.

The simple answer is that steam from the boiler is used with the assistance of a series of cones (located inside the injector itself) to "force" the water from the tender into the boiler. The use of tapered cones enables the velocity of the water being injected to be increased thereby overcoming the pressure already in the boiler.

Let me consult my loco manual tonight for a diagram of the internals of an injector.

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”