Trainman's archives - Rovos Rail

Photos of Rovos Rail! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Trainman's archives - Rovos Rail

Post by John Ashworth »

Old photos and new captions from Nathan Berelowitz
Attachments
In the early days of train operations, Rovos Rail used his class 6 number 439 and a second locomotive on his trains. This locomotive was originally plinthed at Winburg and restored to service in Witbank, by Rovos Rail. It worked very hard on double heading long trains from Pretoria to Krugersdorp and even to Witbank. She is currently out of service
In the early days of train operations, Rovos Rail used his class 6 number 439 and a second locomotive on his trains. This locomotive was originally plinthed at Winburg and restored to service in Witbank, by Rovos Rail. It worked very hard on double heading long trains from Pretoria to Krugersdorp and even to Witbank. She is currently out of service
F1000017.JPG (32.6 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
Shortly after arriving at Capital Park, class 25NC 3442 stands awaiting her turn to be restored. This wait was to be quite a number of years. She is currently in operation. The scene is the depot at Capital Park, and the diesels in the background are all staged awaiting relocation to Koedoespoort<br />depot and elsewhere
Shortly after arriving at Capital Park, class 25NC 3442 stands awaiting her turn to be restored. This wait was to be quite a number of years. She is currently in operation. The scene is the depot at Capital Park, and the diesels in the background are all staged awaiting relocation to Koedoespoort
depot and elsewhere
F1000018.JPG (32.94 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Pretoria main station was a hive of rail activity some years ago. The daily steam hauled departures with the Rovos Rail Cape Town trains provided a steamy atmosphere whilst the Metro sets carried on their everyday activities, oblivious to the green luxury train alongside.
Pretoria main station was a hive of rail activity some years ago. The daily steam hauled departures with the Rovos Rail Cape Town trains provided a steamy atmosphere whilst the Metro sets carried on their everyday activities, oblivious to the green luxury train alongside.
F1000024.JPG (34.59 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Jez Smith

Re: Trainman's archives - Rovos Rail

Post by Jez Smith »

Hi John,
Firstly, let me say that the photos are stunning - Can there be another steam loco from the last 50 years (apart from British Railways' iconic 9F class) that has stirred the imagination in the way that the Class 25s have (Both NC and Condensers)? Personally, I think not.
However, the main reason that I write is this - in your second photo (F1000018.JPG ) there are diesels in the background - what class are they? They do not look like the standard North American 'long hood' style usually seen all over Southern Africa, but I may be wrong. Can you enlighten me?

Kind regards
Jez
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Jez, thanks for your interest. These are Nathan's pictures which I posted for him (he still hasn't learned how to do it!), so I'll draw your query about diesels to his attention and hope he can answer it.

Glad to see you're a BR 9F fan - I love them!
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

I love that Class 6, will she ever see service again?
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Thanks for the comments. The diesels were class 34 but I cant remember the series, probably the 400's. The class 6 is out of boiler certificate and has not operated for about three years. It is in the main shed up at Rovos, who by the way, have their 20th anniversary this year!

Return to “ROVOS Rail”