Hong Kong MTR

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related to Asia and the Middle East! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Derek Walker

Hong Kong MTR

Post by Derek Walker »

I have just gotten back from Hong Kong and have a few pics to post of the MTR.
To say that this system is efficient is an understatement. It works like a bomb. Its fast, efficient, clean and punctual. Its also very easy to use, and on our first trip in 2008 were rding it like a pro, this time around we went even further with it and used the Octopus card for fee paying. The beauty of the Octopus card is that it is redeemable at all stations, most buses, taxis, 7eleven's and virtually every shop. Fast and easy payment for everything.
mtrmap.jpg
mtrmap.jpg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
This is the subway map. We based ourselves in Kowloon and used Mong Kok as the station of preference for the Tseun Wan line (red line).We would use Tsim Sha Tsui station as our exit point for the harbour at Kowloon waterfront, or to catch a ferry across the bay to Hong Kong island proper. If we need to access the island without using a ferry we would hop off at Admiralty. Admiralty was a transfer station and I changed here to access the Island Line 9blue line). I rode this to its end at Chai Wan where I took the next picture.
mtrchaiwan.jpg
mtrchaiwan.jpg (94.98 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
This line runs below the surface until Sai Wan Ho and then on the surface till its end.
The train was full on the day I went to Chai Wan, but emptied very quickly. At peak hours the trains are packed and the cross traffic between trains is heavy. The train is continuous with no doors between coaches. Each door has a route map showing the last station, the next station and the direction of travel as well as which side the doors will open on. Underground platforms are glassed in with sliding doors at the point where the trains doors will be when the train stops. These doors open simultaneously.
mtrstn.jpg
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Hong Kong MTR

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Thanks Derek.

Extremely interesting!
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

doors.jpg
doors.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
doors2.jpg
doors2.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
moretrain.jpg
moretrain.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 2937 times

Hong Kong also has a high speed rail link to the airport from Kowloon Station as well as electric trams on Central
trams.jpg
trams.jpg (127.3 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
and a cable driven tram that runs up to the Peak every 10 minutes
peaktram.jpg
peaktram.jpg (121.04 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
This tram is interesting as it runs at roughly an 8 degree angle which means that buildings seem to be leaning at very odd angles as you pass them. I dont expect that the tram is within the scope of our railway topic so will post pics of it later.
Not quite on the rails.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Lai King is another station I visited in 2008, heads past the container berths and the train is running on the surface again. This is part of the red line and the station can beseen on the right hand side of the pic below.
laiking.jpg
laiking.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
This train did not come from the subway as these are usually silver in colour, so I expect it could be one from another line,
laiking2.jpg
laiking2.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
This is one of the pedestrian walkways that are all over the city, this one provides access to Mong Kok East Station which is on the East Rail line (light blue) and which runs right up into the New Territories.
mkeast.jpg
mkeast.jpg (140.48 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
hongkong276.jpg
hongkong276.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
Not quite on the rails.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

This gets better and better!

Really clean!

Post the tram - thats fine - its on rails!
M. Hardy-Randall

Post by M. Hardy-Randall »

Derek, I got back just last week and made good use of the system, especially the high speed service to and from the huge airport. Passengers departing from Hong Kong can check-in at both Hong Kong and Kowloon stations and then proceed to the airport. The MTR has an arrangement whereby coaches meet the airport trains and take the passengers to their respective hotels in Kowloon or Hong Kong.

My wife and I stayed in Tsim Sha Tsui which was our base station, which at first required some navigation skills to get from one line to another through the long walkway. Following the signs it soon became very easy, and the whole system was cheap for us oldies who only paid HK$8.00 to go almost anywhere. I agree that at peak times the trains were packed, but nothing like those in Tokyo, and the high frequency meant there was a lot of choice. The best journey that we made was to Tung Chung and the three kilometre cable car ride on Lantau Island. If you are of a nervous disposition do not take the Crystal car as it has a glass bottom allowing you to view the ground many metres below.

Over 65s' get a huge discount on all the MTR, buses and the Peak Tram.

If a visitor has a problem understanding the ticket machine on the first run, do not worry because staff and public will come to your aid and explain the system.

Return to “Asia and Middle East - Photo Gallery”