Can I change the appearance of the forum?

Need help using this site? Check here first!
Your question may already have been answered here! If not, ask in the "FOTR Forum Help" below.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Can I change the appearance of the forum?

Post by John Ashworth »

Yes, you can! There are currently three available styles. SimpleLightRed is the default style which everybody sees when they join the forum. There are two other styles available - AeroRed and prosilver.

To change the style:

Click "User Control Panel" on the menu along the top (normally on the right hand side). Then, from the menu, click "Board Preferences". You'll see a small box called "My board style" with an arrow which produces a drop-down menu. Simply choose the option that you want, and click "Submit".

John highly recommends AeroRed; Kevin highly recommends prosilver. Take your pick!

Note that all three templates have the same features, but sometimes buttons and menu items are in a slightly different position. You'll soon find them! Bear in mind also that the FAQ are written for SimpleLightRed, so again you may have to modify any instruction given in the FAQ in view of the different positions of buttons and menu items.
Dylan Knott

Re: Can I change the appearance of the forum?

Post by Dylan Knott »

AeroRed for me!
Jim Nolan

Post by Jim Nolan »

Prosilver too much like other boards i frequent, but aerored, "hmm reddy"
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

To change the Board appearance, go to your profile, then Board Prefernces and chose the Board you like.
Attachments
a1.jpg
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

To see what the other Boards look like see here....

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 589#p19589
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Hi there,

It was a surprise when I opened the forum now. I had the blue scheme and I liked it. I find now it is hard to see in this red scheme in which part of the forum is a new answer.

I was in the user control panel and unfortunately I can't find the point "my board style" anymore.

Why are now only the red scheme? I really prefer the blue one.

In the blue scheme is (was) one of the biggest advantage that clearly is to see in which part of (for example) South Africa - Stream and Heritage Railways is a new answer. There always was in red the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe Part then or Reefsteamers but now it isn't to see where the new answer exactly is.
Can you change it? Or is it possible to change back to the blue scheme?

Andreas
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Andreas, and other users - our apologies. We've had a problem with some templates since the software was upgraded last week, and we have temporarily "forced" AeroRed as the default template while the problems are being sorted out. The choice of templates in Board Preferences in the User Control Panel has thus temporarily disappeared. Hopefully normal service will be resumed in the near future - Steve is currently slaving away at it.

I think the light blue template you were using is called prosilver - hopefully it will come back again.

Bad news for those who were using the old default template, SimpleLightRed, as it seems that one is no longer supported by phpBB and we will probably have to ditch it.
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

John, Thank you for your answer.

I hope Steve can solve the problem.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I can add that Steve has now brought back prosilver. I'm using it at the moment as a test. But it might disappear again...
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Hi folks,
I think that I, with Kevin and John's very useful help, have resolved the various problems and issues that have been uncovered since the Forum software upgrade went "live" last Thursday.

First, the previous default template, "Simple Light Red", was discovered not to have been updated by its author since 2007 and has become incompatible with the latest version of phpBB that I installed. Although it is theoretically possible for me to do some research and possibly update the template myself, should there are any problems remaining there would still be no support for it. I have decided that the best course of action is to "ditch" it. Instead, I have made the more modern "Aero Red" the default template.

Second, "ProSilver", the blue template that some people preferred, is the standard, off-the-shelf phpBB default. It seems problem free and has been restored as an option you can choose in the User Control Panel.

I must apologise for the disruption caused and thank you all for your patience.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Steve, the ProSilver works again.

Thank you very much for your effort to solve the problem.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I've split the posts about the icons and given them a thread of their own - here

Return to “This Forum - Frequently Asked Questions”