FOTR derailment: Chairman's message

3117 had an accident on the 20th of June 2010 and as a result we have launched an appeal. Please post ANYTHING related to the incident, the recovery and the Appeal here! Photos (usual rules - 800 by 600 pixels, 135kb max) and docs can also be posted.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

FOTR derailment: Chairman's message

Post by John Ashworth »

Nathan Berelowitz wrote:What a day we had for Father’s Day, 150th anniversary of railways in this country and the centenary year of the start of the South African Railways with the events being marred by the removal of some 50 odd wooden sleepers for unknown reasons in the cutting approaching Culliunan station.

I would like to thank all the train crew for the professional way they handled the incident and evacuation of the train. The passengers were all unharmed and could still carry on with their Fathers Day outing. To the footplate crew, whose world was momentarily turned upside down, you guys were amazing and what a relief that none of you were hurt at all.

To the rapid response of the various railway organisations and Rail Safety personnel who came out, and the breakdown crews who work under extremely difficult situations.

To all those members who phoned us to offer help and support. Special thanks to Beverly who drove out and assisted with the arranging of the security guards to protect the coaches later moved to Rayton, and the locomotive at Cullinan, and then transporting Frik, John and I back to our cars in Pretoria.

And a warm thanks to John Ashworth for all his help and staying with driver Frik Boshoff and myself, to secure the train set and afford cell comms with the diesel crew and CTC.

May we only grow stronger from this experience and let us realise too, that much as we love this hobby so passionately, there is unfortunately a dark side. However, this type of incident was one that certainly could not have been foreseen nor avoided in any way.

Return to “FOTR - 3117 15F Accident and Appeal”