Sydney's ageing trains

Diesel and Electric motive power and operations in Australia and New Zealand.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Sydney's ageing trains

Post by John Ashworth »

SYDNEY’S AGEING TRAINS
Railways Africa
Friday, 14 November 2008

Sydney's CityRail urban system has been criticised in a scathing report by the New South Wales auditor-general, the Sydney Morning Herald writes. One in three trains is more than 
30 years old and 60% are more than 20. “One in four carriages breaks down every month.” Mechanical failures on every train model in use are "significantly worse" than the government's targets, and Millenium trains - CityRail's newest suburban rolling stock - break down more often than trains due for retirement.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Sydney's ageing trains

Post by John Ashworth »

Marc, is it true?

I rather like those old electric trains whose photographs you've posted. But then I don't have to travel to work on them every day!
Marc Russell

Post by Marc Russell »

It's a very accurate portrayal of what is happening here. The M trains were doomed from the start. After their initial start they were all withdrawn and 'fixed' because their breakdowns were so frequent and sever that it was playing havoc on the entire network, they require more electricity than the other units.
When a car breaksdown it doesn't affect the whole set, it can simply be closed off and isolated whist still remaining part of the set.
Christopher King

Post by Christopher King »

Hi, I thought only Melbourne trains had problems.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the forum, Christopher - your first post, I believe. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Return to “Australia/New Zealand - Modern Motive Power”