Information request about Salt River train accident

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Information request about Salt River train accident

Post by Steve Appleton »

Appeal for information on a train accident at Salt River in the 1920s from Dr Keith Tankard.
Anyone with information that can help answer Keith's query, please reply here to this thread. Thanks
Hello

I am doing a bit of family history. My mother was injured in the Salt River train smash of the 1920s. Two things: Can you perhaps tell me the precise date of that accident? And is there any site on the internet which provides any information concerning this train smash?

Many thanks
Keith

Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Information request about Salt River train accident

Post by Steve Appleton »

Keith, I would love to refer you to the old Transnet Heritage Library, an excellent archive resource located in the old station building offices in Johannesburg. But, regretably, Transnet in its wisdom has closed its doors and retrenched all its librarians. That means that there is now nobody to do any such research, no public access and, even worse, nobody looking after the physical well-being of the irreplaceble material (books, magazines, newsletters, correspondence and photographs) stored therein and which, because the railways, harbours and airways were the biggest service providers to all aspects of the nation over many years, is surprisingly complete and invaluable to South African historians, geographers and sociologists.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Steve, Peter Stow has vast knowledge of historic train accidents in South Africa and I've heard him lecture on the topic. I don't think he reads this forum - can someone contact him on Keith's behalf?
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

I will. Thanks for the suggestion.
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

Have it on authority that the library collection is to be scanned and made available on the internet. There is budget for this. The collection is fragile and will be locked away afterwards. So at least this is a positive happening.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Peter Stow responded with this information:
Attached please find a copy of the first page of the accident report regarding the accident at Salt River on 9 June 1926. Unfortunately this is the only page I copied as I was only interested in the rolling stock involved. The file should still be in the Transnet Library but is not available to the public until they have moved premises.

I know that the General Manager’s Annual Report for that year indicated that 17 passengers were killed and 62 were injured in the accident.

Should I get any more information I will pass it on to you.
Salt River Accident 1926.pdf
(380.32 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Return to “Railway Research”