15E's at Saldanha Day2

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Stefan Andrzejewski

15E's at Saldanha Day2

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

The new Electrical shed has been completed at Saldanha with five roads and each taking three 15E's. It is fenced off making it difficult for clear shots. I countered four 15E's there at present. They do not look like they are in use yet.
Attachments
IMG_4041.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG (106.87 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG (118.49 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
IMG_4040.JPG
IMG_4040.JPG (108.31 KiB) Viewed 2836 times
fanie kleynhans

Re: 15E's at Saldanha Day2

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Nice shots again Stefan, do you know perhaps when the 15E's will enter service? And what will happen to the 34's then?
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Delivery does not seem to be very fast as I counted 2 in the shed during my December visit.
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

They would have to keep some 34's on site in case the E's are been serviced. At present each train has three 9E's and six 34's. They would need at least 12 15E's a day to run these trains, so in total they would probably need close to 50 to do away with the Diesels completely. I am not sure from four 34's how many 15's they would need. I would assume three or four.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

I thought, but I might be wrong, that the Orex trains cannot be hauled entirely electrically because, with the heavier trains, the energy requirements now exceed the capabilities of the overhead electrical equipment and supply. Another reason, along with a shortage of electric locos, for the interposed diesel power.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Hi Steve,

You are probably right, when I visited the line during December this year they were busy erecting transmission lines next to the line which connected to the overheads every couple of kilometres. I presume this is to allow the trains to draw more power from the overheads. You will see the concrete posts in some of the photos I posted.

Cheers

Aidan
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”