Fire Unit

Photos of Southern African Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Adrian Hill

Fire Unit

Post by Adrian Hill »

I am modeling this Fire Unit but I need bit of information so as to complete the model. I am looking for a photograph showing the detail between the coupler and the tank. I am told that there might be a water pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyboby know more about the tanker:
Were there more than one produced?
How are they used in practice?
Attachments
x-30025877_water-tank_fire_ra.JPG
x-30025877_water-tank_fire_ra.JPG (76.87 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
http://www.scalecraft.co.za
Building the little things in life
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Fire Unit

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Adrian,

In response to you posting above;
Adrian Hill wrote: . . . . .[snipped out] . . . . . I am told that there might be a water pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyboby know more about the tanker:
Were there more than one produced?
How are they used in practice?
According to Andre Kritzinger's website, this particular vehicle is classed as per South African Railways(former) classification codes/s for rolling stock as a X-17, a locomotive water feeder tank.
Further, these vehicles entered service in 1938 and 1953 and were / are designed to transport water as auxiliary water tenders, usually for Garratt steam locomotives. However this vehicles also were used as auxiliary water tenders on standard locomotives where water supplies were erratic, or long distances had to be covered between water stops, especially in the arid parts of SA.

Here below are a few addition pictures that illustrate the use of a locomotive water feeder tank;

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=11074
The first two vehicles behind the Class GMA/M Garratt locomotive

Also, see here and here

I can only assume that these vehicle were built here in SA, either by Dorbyl, or Union Carriage and Wagon. There is no mention of the final number of these vehicles built anywhere on either this forum, or on the net, but one can safely assume a couple hundred had to be built.
To my knowledge, none of these vehicles were ever fitted with water pumps when they entered service, however, FotR has modified one of our own water feeder tanks, and fitted a petrol driven water pump and assorted fire-fighting gear to be used to assist when line-side fires occur (which, by-the-way hardly ever happens)!
Unfortunately, we don't have any pictures as yet on his forum, with regards to the above mention FotR modifications to our locomotive water feeder tank!

I must admit that I have never seen a water feeder tank, as illustrated in your picture!

I can only assume this was done, on request by a depot manager, to have a disused loco water feeder tank painted up in red, and used as a water tank for the railways' fire department! Further, I assume that this probably was done in the mid to late 80's, and even maybe into the very early 1990's, when township riots often spilled over onto railway property, with station/s and train/s set alight by the rioters, and firefighter required additional water supplies to douse the fires.

From you the attached picture, there is not enough scenery to place the vehicle, so one can only assume that it may have be taken in one of three provinces, i.e. Western Cape, Gauteng or the Kwazulu Natal.

Maybe the photographer can assist us with when and when was his picture taken????

I hope my small contribution does help!

Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Adrian Hill

Post by Adrian Hill »

Hi Gabor, thanks for the info. I am also looking for more information for that specific tanker.
http://www.scalecraft.co.za
Building the little things in life
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

It was converted for use with the former Union Limited train to follow behind the train hauled by a diesel. Never used as far as I know. There was a pump mounted on the aft deck but since removed.

Return to “South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles”