Nairobi: two gauges!

Photos of Kenyan Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Nairobi: two gauges!

Post by John Ashworth »

The Nairobi Railway Museum's miniature railway track is in the foreground while shunting goes on in the metre-gauge marshalling yard behind.

Photos by John Ashworth, 18 March 2011.
Attachments
9318 shunts in the yard. The miniature train is under the tarpaulin in the right foreground.
9318 shunts in the yard. The miniature train is under the tarpaulin in the right foreground.
museum_IMG_4283.JPG (69.56 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
An hour or so later, 4732 does the honours.
An hour or so later, 4732 does the honours.
museum_IMG_4287.JPG (75.56 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
Roderick Smith

Re: Nairobi: two gauges (and a third)

Post by Roderick Smith »

My first here. I have been hearing of the forum since its inception; I have many friends here. However, there are only 168 hours in week, and I can't join every group in the world, or even every group associated with the countries to which I have travelled. John has done a good job with my EAR photos, and I am grateful, but that did give me the incentive to join. I read all the rules, and wondered how 'Trainman' could meet the one about ribald/suggestive posts. Skimming through some Kenya posts, I just couldn't resist adding to the Nairobi two-gauge posts with a third one. I won't have the time to be more than a lurker, but I (an Australian) do feel at home when I am in Africa. The similarities in the railway history and culture are very strong.
This photo shows an internal tramway in Nairobi workshops.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Attachments
110518W-P1000227-Nairobi-workshops-RSmith.jpg
110518W-P1000227-Nairobi-workshops-RSmith.jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Nairobi: two gauges!

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the FOTR Forum, Roderick, and thanks for your photos which I have been able to repost from the East_African_Steam Yahoo group.

I'm really glad you posted this photo of the dual gauges in the Nairobi works. I noticed it some time ago and kept meaning to take a photo but never got round to it!

Return to “Kenya - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous - Photo Gallery”