Interesting document

Steam motive power and operations in Southern Africa
HenryLazenby

Interesting document

Post by HenryLazenby »

Hi all,
Its been a while since my last post.
I've been rumaging through a pile of old steam safari itineraries I obtained from my ucle Org de Bruin, who was a real safari gricer in his day. I found this listing of the then Museum's steam locos - operational, preserved, plinthed, and earmarked for restoration - distributed in one of the itirneraries circa 1986(?)...
I am intrigued by class 12A 2111 being earmarked for overhaul, and even being preliminarily rostered to work some steam safaris... I have not spotted her on any of the modern day steam preservation movements' lists of engines to be saved for the future?
Enjoy and please share thoughts!
Also, no class 24 3664 or 19D 2650?
Cheers!
Attachments
Steam Status circa 1986.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 183 times
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Interesting document

Post by John Ashworth »

Popular wisdom has it that 2650 was scheduled for scrapping but a certain driver who shall remain nameless shunted her to a far and hidden corner of the yard where she was overlooked. The rest, as they say, is history...
Gregory du Plessis

Re: Interesting document

Post by Gregory du Plessis »

Henry, Class 24 3664 is on the list, first page 17th item on the list, it was based at Krugersdorp.

Many lists were drawn up, why were they not stuck to and what has happened to some of the jewels, like Class 25 3451 which lies in ruins at Krugersdorp and Class 26 3450 which is a big favourite of mine, not to mention Class 16E 858 which hasn't turned a wheel in years stuck at Kimberley awaiting a scary fate....

Return to “South Africa - Steam Motive Power”