Hermanstad: Help wanted to identify rolling stock

Members can post FOTR related pictures of the new Hermanstad Site here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep them for later, save them to your hard drive!
Pierre-Noel Rietsch

Hermanstad: Help wanted to identify rolling stock

Post by Pierre-Noel Rietsch »

Colleagues,

I was last sunday on the trip to Cullinan, and before and after the trip I shoot some pictures of the engines standing there. Now, I would need the numbers of these engines:

Here, the number is clear (15080), but which class is that?

... a 15F, I suppose, but which one?

Looks quite similar like "Jo-Anna"... An other 24?

And last but not least:
Which class is that? And, is the vehicle number anywhere visible on the front?

With much thanks,
Pierre-Noël Rietsch
Wattwil SG, Switzerland

http://www.trainweb.org/railphot
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Hermanstad: Help wanted to identify rolling stock

Post by John Ashworth »

Pierre-Noel, if you go to http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=136 you'll find a lot of pictures and some details of all our locos, including the electric motor coach. You'll also find some on our main website, at www.friendsoftherail.com. Use the drop down menu entitled "Rolling Stock" (but it won't open for me just now and I've asked Mike and Steve to take a look to see if there is a problem with it).

The 15F is 3094, which gave us sterling service until a few years ago when we started to pick up a lot of boiler problems, so she was stood down. The 24 belongs to SANRASM and is 3366, I think.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

The electric motor coach is I believe from class 4M2. The number 15080 is unlikely to be its original number because 5-digit numbers in that series were used by SAR to designate non-revenue-earning "service" passenger vehicles. Rumour has it that this motor coach was last used as a patrol personnel vehicle during the apartheid period when there was unrest in the townships. This is apparently why the windows have been fitted with expanded-mesh screens.
Except for the steam locos, the rolling stock sections of the website are currently blank. Those pages need pics and details of the passenger vehicles to be added one day.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

The yellow Metrorail train is of class 5M. The motor coach number is not visible on the front. However, there is a a white disk which contains the "set" number. When the various coaches are marshalled together to create a train set, the completed train is given a set number for operational reference. This one is set J9. It is running as train number 9310, a Mabopane to Mamelodi Gardens via Daspoort service.
Last edited by Steve Appleton on 15 Dec 2011, 15:36, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 19 should read J9
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Pierre-Noel Rietsch

Post by Pierre-Noel Rietsch »

Thanks Steve, that'exactly the infos I needed!

So, everything is identified, with exception of the 24 (or at least I suppose she's a 24, as she looks very similar to "Jo-Anna"). I d'dn't find anything about ot on the SANRASM, and also nothing about a number 3366. Anybody knows perhaps more...?
Pierre-Noël Rietsch
Wattwil SG, Switzerland

http://www.trainweb.org/railphot
Geoff Pethick

Post by Geoff Pethick »

Class 24 3366 does belong to SANRASM and has been looked after by FOTR for more years than I care to remember!

Regards
Geoff Pethick
SANRASM Exco

Return to “FOTR - The New Hermanstad Site”