Breyten Plinthed Loco Flying the Flag!

Photos of locomotives and stock plinthed - can be steam, electric, diesel locomotives or other stockn items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away eventually to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Breyten Plinthed Loco Flying the Flag!

Post by John Ashworth »

Here is a photo from Google Street (which we'll remove if there are any copyright complaints) of a plinthed loco in Breyten, Mpumalanga, which has apparently received a new paint job. It looks very smart, although enthusiasts will cringe at the non-authentic colour scheme. However it's not the first time historic locomotives have been painted in non-authentic liveries - Rovos Rail have several dark green ones! If it attracts public interest in heritage steam, then it will have served a useful purpose, and it can always be repainted back to its original colour later. Better than just being allowed to rust away... or being scrapped.
Attachments
Breyten_Screenshot.jpg
Breyten_Screenshot.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Breyten Plinthed Loco Flying the Flag!

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Very colourful!

Nathan - ideas????
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Posted on the sar-L Yahoo group in response to the Breyten picture, another patriotic photo, this one by Len Smuts, published in SA Rail Vol 42 No 4 2003.
Attachments
Wildernes-Station.jpg
Wildernes-Station.jpg (88.85 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Adrian Hill

Post by Adrian Hill »

Maybe I'm too young to be horrified.

Given that the Breyten photograph dates back to 2010 I suspect that the paint job was done in support of the soccer world cup. This means that the loco was painted before 11 June 2010.

....and we only find out and complain about it 18 months later....

Each of us shape our perceptions: I see the lady wrapped in a cloak of many races! (A cloak that creates unity rather that division)

I am sure that my view will be shot down in flames but you know, that's ok too, I've become quite accustomed to it.
http://www.scalecraft.co.za
Building the little things in life
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Adrian. I agree with you. The comments on FOTR generally stay quite civil, but as you and I both know this topic has generated quite some heat on the sar-L Yahoo group.

I copy below Nathan's contribution to the sar-L, where the repaint came in for some heavy criticism, as he still hasn't persuaded his steam-powered modem to connect to the FOTR forum:
Nathan Berelowitz wrote:Hmm, now lets look at this from another angle. After the original plinthing and ceremony for this locomotive, when proud speeches were made as to its career and how it was involved in railways in this railway dorpie part of the world, the world and community slowly forgot about it.Over time, the brass dulls and the paint fades. Railways get renamed and structures change. Lines close and communities slowly dwindle away to find employment or brighter futures. The railway hustle and bustle and social life of Breyton has ceased. The once busy SAR Hostel becomes something else. The loco depot is closed and demolished. The dust settles and the new residents start filtering in. While the "Old Breed" fade away, so do various objects of "Historical Interest", ( to some but not all), and parts start to disappear.

With no leadership or commitment in keeping things as they were or under control, why bother and so a once proud locomotive becomes a rusty, stripped and vandalised eyesore. Unable to be scrapped due to Heritage acts etc, what now?

Out comes the paint and brushes and so the next generation proudly put their mark on it. No longer an eyesore to some, the rust has gone, the locomotive stands out in the new name changed dorpie and everyone is happy, and they even had time to get acquainted with an old original steam locomotive. Perhaps a future interest in railways could be stimulated and new kids on the sleepers would perhaps like to join up with such an organisation? Were its sisters not painted up in parks in different colours to be bit more attractive than dull black? Did not some of her sisters once sport different liveries from Blue to Green to Red?

Hmm, now that is something to think about.

I do believe the local national airline had a total makeover in such colour schemes sometime ago and actually looked pretty good. Breaking tradition with "aircraft white"!

Hey, dont feel so bad, it will be 2012 in a while and maybe that might just spur the TFR and PRASA to be "Proudly South African".

JaNeeTrainman.2011
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

A photo by Peter Sinclair posted on the sar-L Yahoo group showing how the loco used to look in 1986 - but almost certainly not how it looked after 25 years of neglect before it was repainted! This photo identifies the loco as Class 19 no 1369.
Attachments
misc+020.jpg
misc+020.jpg (71.18 KiB) Viewed 3019 times
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

I like what Nathan had to say there. It makes sense to me.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops

Return to “Plinthed Locos”