Further episode of Trainman's Past Trains

Photos of South African Railways (SAR/SAS),Soornet or TFR Steam Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Further episode of Trainman's Past Trains

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos and captions by Nathan Berelowitz
Attachments
A magnificent sight as the Blou Bull 19D 2779 and 15CA 2056 leave Pretoria on a schools special around the complex. These trains would often operate in the week by the SAR for schools as charters.
A magnificent sight as the Blou Bull 19D 2779 and 15CA 2056 leave Pretoria on a schools special around the complex. These trains would often operate in the week by the SAR for schools as charters.
nathan17.jpg (144.2 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Pretoria's steam loco shed was originally up here at the  station along with the workshops, before being relocated to Capital Park in the 1940s. On this site we have the newly constructed Blue Train shed still in it's early days. The class S2 shunt loco and the typical Shunter's position on the buffers make the train ready for placing at the main station alongside. The Blue Train shunt was the only time that this new set was ever touched by steam. In Pretoria, the train started and finished its journey with steam.<br />1971
Pretoria's steam loco shed was originally up here at the station along with the workshops, before being relocated to Capital Park in the 1940s. On this site we have the newly constructed Blue Train shed still in it's early days. The class S2 shunt loco and the typical Shunter's position on the buffers make the train ready for placing at the main station alongside. The Blue Train shunt was the only time that this new set was ever touched by steam. In Pretoria, the train started and finished its journey with steam.
SAR Blue train shed aPretoria.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
The S2 shunting locomotives were used pretty much around the country. Capital Park had about eight, one of which was later painted blue and used on the Blue Train shunt. One of them on the 1 yard station shunt putters around on platform 4 at Pretoria station. 1971
The S2 shunting locomotives were used pretty much around the country. Capital Park had about eight, one of which was later painted blue and used on the Blue Train shunt. One of them on the 1 yard station shunt putters around on platform 4 at Pretoria station. 1971
SAR S2 Pretoria Station.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
During loco transfers and workings to the Koedoespoort shops, there were often some unusual loco combinations. Here is a GO Garratt number 2594 with a 15CA number 2813 approaching Rayton from the East. 12 July 1972
During loco transfers and workings to the Koedoespoort shops, there were often some unusual loco combinations. Here is a GO Garratt number 2594 with a 15CA number 2813 approaching Rayton from the East. 12 July 1972
SAR GOand 15CA Rayton.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
While sitting on my bicycle before school started, I would do homework by the lineside at Loftus Verseveld station and watch the passing steam parade. There was firstly the Komati passenger usually double header Witbank 15CAs, followed by the L.M. Mail with either a GMAM or double 15CA and finally a single 15CA on the Cullinan train. Here we have 2054 and 2077 on the Komati pass towards Pretoria. The Gautrain line is now where I took the photo. 23 November 1971
While sitting on my bicycle before school started, I would do homework by the lineside at Loftus Verseveld station and watch the passing steam parade. There was firstly the Komati passenger usually double header Witbank 15CAs, followed by the L.M. Mail with either a GMAM or double 15CA and finally a single 15CA on the Cullinan train. Here we have 2054 and 2077 on the Komati pass towards Pretoria. The Gautrain line is now where I took the photo. 23 November 1971
SAR 15CA LM Mail 1971.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Early evening at Loftus Verseveld halt and the clean Capital Park 15CA hauls the passenger towards Witbank in 1971.
Early evening at Loftus Verseveld halt and the clean Capital Park 15CA hauls the passenger towards Witbank in 1971.
SAR 15CA Komati pass Loftus.jpg (65.05 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
The silence of Panpoort is ripped apart as these 15CA locomotives open up for the long haul to Rayton, as they move the load of coal Eastbound. Numbers 2808 and 2055 during 17 December 1971
The silence of Panpoort is ripped apart as these 15CA locomotives open up for the long haul to Rayton, as they move the load of coal Eastbound. Numbers 2808 and 2055 during 17 December 1971
SAR 15CA double header Panpoort.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Further episode of Trainman's Past Trains

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

After all these years and learning to work a scanner, life is great! Judt must get my captions correct. The last one with the double CA through Panpoort is actually a load of empties with here and there some product in a DZ wagon bound for Witbamk and elsdewhere! Cant take coals to Newcastle!!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Step 1 - learn to work scanner (done)

Step 2 - learn to get your captions correct (working on it)

Step 3 - learn to post pictures to FOTR Forum yourself... (!)

Seriously though, I don't mind posting them for you - the pictures are well worth the effort.
ch.janssen-schmidt

Post by ch.janssen-schmidt »

Ah lekker stuff, food for connoisseurs.
Keep em rolling Sir!

Return to “SAR/SAS/Spoornet/TFR”