Pictures of your trip. Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K - very good ones may star in a future photo competition!
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Gabor Kovacs
- Friends of The Rail
- Posts: 654
- Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Location: FLORIDA PARK, JHB, RSA
Here are a few pictures captured of sights from the recently operated heritage steam "Spring Day" Cullinan Express . . . .
Enjoy the pictures!
All pictures by Gabor Kovacs
Enjoy the pictures!
All pictures by Gabor Kovacs
- FotR's SAR Class 19D - No. 2650 waits alongside the Hermanstad platform on a mild Spring morning, for her passengers to arrive
- 001.jpg (43.79 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Arno, FotR's Marketing Manager, manages to smile for the camera between serving arriving passengers, and Oom Billy is busy directing a "checked-in" passenger, by checking the just issued boarding pass to direct the passenger concerned to the appropriate passenger coach . . . .
- 003.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- FotR's Coach Controller (CC) and Train Manager (TM) team - Oom Fanie (CC), Steve Appleton, and recently joined new member, Jaco (CC).
Welcome aboard Jaco!
- 004.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Mrs. Berelowitz smiles for the camera, while waiting to sell kiddies Tee-shirts, based on a popular kiddies TV cartoon series . . . .
- 005.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- FotR's marketing team, seated, are hard pressed to process the long que that has formed at the check-in table, while another lady takes a quick snap of the atmosphere on the Hermanstad platform . . . .
- 006.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- A passenger Dad takes a picture of his two young daughters standing alongside the steam locomotive . . . .
- 007.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- More passengers arrive alongside the train, after checking in to collect their boarding passes to board the train, while the steam locomotive blows off the the boilers safety valves . . . .
- 009.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Petting farm animals, supplied by FotR's club secretary, Chris Janisch manages to attract some attention from waiting passengers just before boarding time at Hermanstad . . . .
- 010.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- FotR's fabulously friendly Hermanstad car park and guard team . . . .
- 011.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Arno (seated, left) and Oom Billy (seated right), FotR's prized marketing team - serve a passenger with his boarding pass, while Robert Dadford (Loco and Rolling Stock Maintenance Technical Crew member) looks on . . . .
- 012.jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Lindie Berelowitz, serves passengers buying trinkets and memorabilia, from behind the station shop counter a Hermanstad
- 013.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Passengers mingle on the eastern-side of the Hermanstad platform, just before departure . . . .
- 014.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Oom Gert van Vuuren, retired former railways and Rovos Rail steam locomotive driver, gets his picture taken! Oom Gert still occasionally assists FotR, however on this day, he and his family and friends were looking forward to a relaxing Sunday train ride as passengers to Cullinan . . . . .
- 015.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Just before departure time, Grandpa and his grandchildren makes "friends" with one of the FotR "security" dogs . . . .
- 016.jpg (40.99 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Mom keeps a "motherly eye" on her exploring and inquisitive toddler . . . .
- 017.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Another passenger family aboard the train! Two of the children watch with interest as the scenery speeds past, another child fast asleep, and all the while, Dad is catching up on reports for the office, due for Monday morning on his I-pad . . . .
- 018.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- The passenger couple smile broadly for the camera, with their toddler on daddies lap . . .
- 021.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- General view of a somewhat busy lounge-car aboard the Cullinan Express . . . .
- 022.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Tea time . . . .!!! Getting ready to serve tea and coffee to the passengers who enjoy the finer things of having tea at 10 . . . .
- 024.jpg (45.12 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Lounge-car "Liquid Refreshment" Manager takes a break from the busy counter and ponders in thought on another pressing matter, while his tea-break snack gets cold in his hand . . . .
- 025.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Young teenage passengers select their snacks from the lounge-car serving counter, to enjoy enroute to Cullinan . . . .
- 026.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- FotR's coach-assistant collects refuse from passengers, in an effort to keep FotR's coaches as clean as possible enroute to Cullinan! The same is done on the return journey back to Hermanstad, Pretoria . . . .
- 027.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- A dad keeps a careful watch over his son, as his son leans a little out the open window, to look ahead, to see the train being hauled by a powerful steam locomotive up-front, as the trains heads for a sleepy country village of Cullinan . . . .
- 028.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Grandchild sleeps in Grandpa's lap, much oblivious to the noise of the train moving through the countryside . . . .
- 029.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- A retired couple enjoy the ambiance created on our train. Probably for them, this excursion may have brought back a flood of good memories from days long gone by . . . .
- 030.jpg (40.11 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Duppie (left) a regular TFR Pilot to FotR train excursions, takes a break from his regular duties, and takes in the sights and sounds while off-duty from TFR, with Nathan (right) as the Cullinan Express approaches Rayton
- 033.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- the footplate crew, quickly complete the necessities at Rayton station, before taking the Cullinan Express onto the Rayton to Zonderwater Branch . . . .
- 034.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Shortly after arrival of the Cullinan Express, the sleeping Sunday village and station is awoken, to 450 plus passengers disembarking from the train to create a temporarily illusion of a thriving metropolitan city, during rush hour . . . .
- 036.jpg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Cullinan platform will be seeing more similar scenes, as we head towards our 2012 high season . . . .
- 039.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- "The Station Restaurant" is a hive of activity, shortly after arrival at Cullinan. The restaurant even sports a recently acquired redundant phone booth, with a old fashion phone installed on the inside . . .
- 040.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
- Most passengers gather around FotR's Class 19D - 2650 steam loco, at the head of the train, just after arrival at Cullinan, to view the locomotive and to capture the moment with family and, or friends . . . .
- 041.jpg (78.37 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
A very well phot documented day of FOTR activities. Well done Gabor, it certainly shows what FOTR do.
As enthusiasts, we usually concentrate our photography on the locos and the technical side of things. Thanks, Gabor, for this superb record of the broader ambience of a steam train trip.
- Steve Appleton
- Site Admin
- Posts: 3605
- Joined: 23 Jan 2007, 14:14
- Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
What a super, refreshing set of pics. Thank you Gabbie.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"