FOTR Forum statistics for 2012

Announcements and News about Friends of the Rail. Photos can be posted here.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

FOTR Forum statistics for 2012

Post by John Ashworth »

During the year 2012:

3,044 messages were posted on the forum, averaging just over 8 messages per day.
1,459 new topics were begun.
1,527 new attachments were posted, mostly photos.
113 new members joined the forum.

At the end of 2012, there were a total of:

30,521 messages.
10,168 topics.
16,140 attachments.
861 forum members.

24 members (2.8%) have posted 100 messages or more, 77 (8.9%) have posted in double figures, and 198 (23%) have posted at least one message.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: FOTR Forum statistics for 2012

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Encouraging.

But it would be nice if people posted more!

I am a member of another Forum which has 4,900 members. Posts on average are 210 per day.

If we work the ratios back this means that if our 861 members posted at the same rate there would be 38 new posts a day, instead of 8.

The Forum I refer to is in the States, and I notice that people there tend to be more focused.

I do know in some cases here (because the individuals told me) people are now getting sidetracked by Facebook, Twitter etc,. And I suspect that this is actually more widespread in South Africa!

The percentage of frequent posters I suspect is much higher on the other forum as well - I cannot work it out as I cannot get the stats I require to this, but I am sure is far greater then 2.8%.

The other forum has been running 5 years now and 8 members have 4,000 + posts, and 25 more then 2,000. For FOTR the comparative figures are 2 have 4,000 + posts, and 2 more then 2,000.

Working on a ration basis again FOTR should be 2 (as it is) for 4,000+, but around 5 for more then 2,000.

One question to also ask is why do people suddenly disappear after they have been very active?

Since the 1st December 2012 only 80 of the members have visited (not posted - just looked at the site) - less then 10%. And Christmas is the time when people often do make an effort to visit! Only an extra 18 logged or visited in the previous month of November.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: FOTR Forum statistics for 2012

Post by John Ashworth »

Kevin wrote:But it would be nice if people posted more!
I couldn't agree more!

I'm also a member of a US forum, www.Railroad.Net. It's older than our FOTR Forum, I believe, is a commercial rather than a volunteer-run site, currently has 7,400 members and over one million posts, and has a huge number of new posts each day.

Return to “FOTR - Announcements and News”