Santos Express Train Lodge

Photos of Southern African Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Moving Items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
AllanRobertson

Santos Express Train Lodge

Post by AllanRobertson »

Here are some photos of the train lodge in Mossel Bay as requested

There are some more and some video at: http://www.santosexpress.co.za/
Allan Robertson.
Ian Roberts

Re: Santos Express Train Lodge

Post by Ian Roberts »

I stayed at the next hotel north of these coaches in September 1997.
At that time they were still painted red and gray and the sign outside, no building at the time, said "Backpackers Hostel"
Ian
AllanRobertson

Post by AllanRobertson »

Ian Roberts wrote:I stayed at the next hotel north of these coaches in September 1997.
At that time they were still painted red and gray and the sign outside, no building at the time, said "Backpackers Hostel"
Thanks Ian-before my ownership wich started in 2002. I wouls love to see some photos of her then if you have some.

Here are some cast metal signs I just picked up from a foundry in Wolverhamton for our coaches. Should be installed this week, hopefully.

Allan Robertson.
Ian Roberts

Post by Ian Roberts »

I am sorry to say that all my photos were lost in a computer crash about four years ago.
Ian
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Stunning!

Looks very good - thank you!
Warren Beck

Post by Warren Beck »

I'm planning a trip to that part of the world in January, will be spending a night or two on the train.
I stayed at the Protea hotel just across the road when I was a kid (apparently the hotel has moved?), had lunch on the train a few times, always wanted to stay for the night.
AllanRobertson

Post by AllanRobertson »

Yes, the hotel got sold a number of years back and was turned into condos. Let me know what your dates are. Maybe we can hook up for a beverage. Would be nice to meet a fellow FOTR member.
Allan Robertson.
Warren Beck

Post by Warren Beck »

Hi Allan. Haven't made a booking yet, been waiting for things to settle down after the holidays. Going to try make a booking for sometime next week.
AllanRobertson

Post by AllanRobertson »

Warren Beck wrote:Hi Allan. Haven't made a booking yet, been waiting for things to settle down after the holidays. Going to try make a booking for sometime next week.
Hi Warren,

Sorry I will mis you unfortunately. Please give me your dates.
Allan Robertson.
Warren Beck

Post by Warren Beck »

Hi Allan, we ended up staying with friends, did pop past the train to have a look. Has changed a lot since I was last there, looking good.
The line that runs past to the harbor looks disused? Although I heard from one of the locals that there was a tram running between Mossel Bay and Voorbaai during December?
Will have to meet up next time I visit that part of the world.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Warren, it was a trolley running between Mossel Bay and Hartenbos. Very well supported as well.
Warren Beck

Post by Warren Beck »

Interesting stuff Dylan. Is it similar to the Outeniqua Power Vans? I hope it runs again during the next holiday season. I would definitely make the trip up there to check it out.
Is there any other traffic on this part of the line? I remember watching the diesels doing their thing from the Protea hotel when I was a kid.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

They used some of the power van trolleys. Yes I understand they do wish to run the service again.

The station is disused, but there is a spur running to one of the quays that certainly had tanker trucks parked there not so long ago. Probably operates on a "if needed" basis. Most sidings have closed on the section Voorbaai - Mossel Bay.

Return to “South Africa - Coaches, Rolling Stock & Miscellaneous Vehicles”