Three coaches seen while passing by

Photos of Southern African Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Andreas Umnus

Three coaches seen while passing by

Post by Andreas Umnus »

While the Trans-Karoo heads to Cape Town I could see in the distance these three coaches standing in the landscape. 1995
While the Trans-Karoo heads to Cape Town I could see in the distance these three coaches standing in the landscape. 1995
img159-L.jpg (78.51 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
Dylan Knott

Re: Three coaches seen while passing by

Post by Dylan Knott »

Is this not Matjiesfontein? I also see a semaphore post. Anyone else know?
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

I was thinking the same.
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

I'm sorry, but I don't know where exactly it is. The next slide if've got is taken when the Trans Karoo left a tunnel and later in Worcester.
I was also already looking at Google Earth, but I can't find the place where I took that photo.
Adelbert Stigling

Post by Adelbert Stigling »

Have a feeling it might be at Touwsrevier
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Matjiesfontein before the museum was built. Coaches now stand undercover.
fanie kleynhans

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Dylan you are correct with Matjiesfontein, I was there this past weekend and those are the coaches in the transport museum.
fanie kleynhans

Here is view inside one of those coaches, looks quite nice.
Attachments
IMG0473_fotr.jpg
IMG0473_fotr.jpg (118.7 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Do they still take you there in the London Bus for wine tasting.
fanie kleynhans

They still do the bus trip but dont think they stop anywhere, its just a quick 5 min trip around the place. We actually managed to miss it the Saturday evening! Unfortunately it dont ran on Sunday evenings but it seems to run on all the other days.
terry browne

Post by terry browne »

Here's a closer picture of 2 of the coaches : http://www.flickr.com/photos/sar_connec ... 31425@N22/ , or search the Clerestory Group for "Matjiesfontein" for other pics .

Anyone want the ex-London Transport RT Bus : http://www.flickr.com/photos/67908005@N ... 775013102/ .
terry browne

Post by terry browne »

Now having had a chance to visit in May 2013, there are actually 5 clerestory coaches here, all under cover in an "isolated" shed close by the main line (might have been interesting to see how they got there - was there a spur, or a very expensive road haul?

The long sides on each side are secure netted, but open, giving a platform either side with a middle siding.

The east platform has Loco 987 and Coach 8228.

4-8-0 SAR(ex CGR) Class 7 #987 was built in 1893 as works no 4477 by Neilson and Co., of Glasgow, Scotland. Neilson and Co built 32 Class 7 engines - they became SAR engine no's 956-987. See http://steam-locomotives-south-africa.b ... no987.html for fuller information.

#8228 was built 1935, SAR Salt River.

The centre 'siding' contained Balcony Clerestory #1633, built SAR Pretoria, 1930. Together with a full brake (reconditioned Pretoria 1998) behind - unfortunately, bearing no fleet number (that I could see on a short visit) .

The west platform contained Coach #216, 3rd class Dining Car, Built Birmingham Railway Carriage works, Smethwick, UK in 1927. Behind was a 1st Kitchen/3rd sleeper, again no number or makers plate I could find at the time.

For further photos in the Flickr Clerestory Coaches group of SAR vehicles at Matjiesfontein: click here......

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous”