Weekend visit to Atlantic Rail - 21 to 23 June 2013

Photos of Atlantic Rail! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Weekend visit to Atlantic Rail - 21 to 23 June 2013

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

I spent this past weekend in the "Mother City" of Cape Town, and my gracious hosts, Atlantic Rail made me feel right at home and participated in some of the activities in and around Cape Town station. The first highlight for the weekend was to witness the steam testing of Atlantic Rails recently arrived SAR Class 16DA, and the following day, my first trip with AR on a steam hauled train to Simons Town!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all at AR for their wonderful hospitality, and for the opportunity to share in the many activities over this past weekend! THANK YOU all at AR!!!

Here below are several of my photos, covering the weekends activities . . .

Steam locomotives and electric waiting for duty . . .

just after the fire was lit in the Class 16DA No. 879 . . .

Marli (an active AR member), in the cab of SAR Class 16DA No. 879 . . .

Smoke for the 16DA's chimney . . .

AR's Class 24 No. 3655 all steamed up and ready to assemble here train for the trip to Simons Town . . .

"Vuurhoudtjie" (eng = match stick) Brett Radloff, gets his picture taken while working the injector of AR's Class 24 . . .

AR's recently arrived Class 16DA, is shunted aside while the passenger train is assembled. The 16DA's fire was dropped the afternoon before . . .

heading out of Cape Town, under a plume of exhaust steam hanging in the cold winter morning partly-cloudy skies, passing overnight stabled Metro trains enroute to Simons Town . . .

3655 hurriedly makes her way through one of the southern suburbs station, as one of many photographers along the line, wraps up is shoot, and start heading back to the nearest exit . . .

Coasting along the coastline, as the train approaches Kalk Bay(?) station . . .

Having departed Fish Hoek station, 3655 corners around a left-hand curve accelerates towards Glencairn, and attracts the attention of beach-goers all along the southern suburbs coast-line . .

Probably on three steps are required to dip ones feet into False Bay . . .

Approach to Simons Town station, with "Vuurhoudtjie" keeping a good look-out, from the cab window, for the line ahead . . . .

End of the line, southern most station of Cape Metro . . .

the obligatory passenger photos - a family with children set up to get their photos taken . . .

AR volunteer staff take a break while lunch gets braai'ed on the locomotive shovel in the firebox!
(left) Brett Radloff, (right) Chris Andrzejewski and (middle rear) Matt Raubenheimer . . .

Luca Lategan gets the boerewors braai'ed locomotive style, while Frikkie a Metro Rail staff member looks on . . .

Luca gets another kilo or two of boerewors braai'ed, for the hungary AR volunteers waiting with drooling mouths outside the cab of 3655. . .

Almost departure time @ 15H25! 3655 runs tender first back to Cape Town . . .

a passing Metro service enroute back to Cape Town, at Kalk Bay station . . .

having arrived back at Cape Town station, platform 23, the locomotive has run-around the load of passenger vehicles, and with the signal at "yellow" at the end of the platform, 3655 has to pull her load forward, and the shunt back into Ar's siding platform for the final arrival at CT . . .
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Weekend visit to Atlantic Rail - 21 to 23 June 2013

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Stefan Andrzejewski of AR managed to get a rather great picture of me, taking a break . . . .

SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Andreas Umnus

Re: Weekend visit to Atlantic Rail - 21 to 23 June 2013

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Hi Gaor,
Thank you for giving me (us) an impression of how it would be to ride the steam train to Simons Town.
Nice pictures.

Return to “Atlantic Rail”