Video produced of the 21st anniversary

Pictures related to FOTR's 21st Anniversary - events, special thing, etc.!
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Video produced of the 21st anniversary

Post by Steve Appleton »

I have just come across this Youtube video by SteamerSA, produced on the occasion of the 21st anniversary of FOTR. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2SSQrH5Tn0
I have no idea who SteamerSA is in real life but grateful thanks for recording and publishing the occasion. If you look carefully you might just spot me doing what I do best, relaxing on a chair in the lounge car!
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Mike Haslam
Site Admin

Re: Video produced of the 21st anniversary

Post by Mike Haslam »

Steve, he is Henry Lazenby.

I saw this video some while ago. I think he did an excellent job in making it. I wonder why it is was not well publicized at the time.

Unfortunately it is a bit dated now, but still remains a very good overview of FotR.

Nice job Henry!!
\ ^ /
0 Turtle
/ v \

wame nuttauwadtuongash
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Turtle wrote:a bit dated now
It was quite nostalgic seeing the passengers boarding at Capital Park instead of Hermanstad. We boarded there for so many years and it was only relatively recently that we moved passenger operations to Hermanstad, but it now feels as if we have been at Hermanstad for ever!
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Thanks Mike. I worked that out later by viewing some other videos of his that I had not seen before and which credited himself. I do not make a habit of searching youtube. Indeed very nostalgic. I found one video dating from I think 1994, wherein the pax were being checked in and boarding mainline sitters at Pretoria station. Some very young, "old" faces I recognised in that one! So I guess Capital Park may have seemed like forever, but actually it wasn't.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Steve. I remember my first ever trip on FOTR, I think in 2000, before I was a member, when we boarded at Pretoria Station. I seem to recall Turtle was firing a hand-fired 15F on that occasion.
Mike Haslam
Site Admin

Post by Mike Haslam »

The hand fired 15F. We had that loco for quite a while. I shall not get into the politics of it!! Wasn't it called Littlefoot, No 2914.

While we had her, Trevor Staats and I made a plan in which we attached a video camera to the fireman's side to film the trip from Cpk to Cullinan. The idea was we could use it for fireman training in getting to know the road.

It was not entirely successful as it turned out a leak in the steam piping for the injector caused some loss of picture each time I filled the boiler and we ran out of tape before reaching Cullinan, due to delays at signals.

Even so. The tape was fun to watch. Had all the loco sounds, you could see the signals and track ahead and fortunately excluded the curses of the driver onto his fireman!

It was on a VHS tape. What's that? I hear some ask.

Perhaps it is time to make a new copy, this time from Cpk to Hermanstad and Cullinan. But use a very long tape that can record for many hours. Nathan can use the video of the signal stops to help him sleep.

T
\ ^ /
0 Turtle
/ v \

wame nuttauwadtuongash
Mike Haslam
Site Admin

Post by Mike Haslam »

Oh yes! And adding that perhaps Henry could be persuaded to shoot some up to date footage at Hermanstad and re-edit the video to make a nice advertising video we could use for promotion.
\ ^ /
0 Turtle
/ v \

wame nuttauwadtuongash
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Didn't someone attach a video camera to the front of one of our locos a couple of years back to get material for some railway simulation software? I wonder what happened to that footage?
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

I have been reading a book on the "M" room, a set of three secret POW "camps" set up in requisitioned mansions outside London during the war for senior German POWs. The British secretly recorded the conversations of the POWs as they went about their daily business unawares and made many very important intelligence coups that way.
This is a long way round noting how technology moves on. In the absence of magnetic tape, the intelligence operatives were equipped with disc cutters and cut analog disc recordings of the important bits for translation and, get this, typing up for distribution. No digital stuff in those days and no email. Imagine handling, indexing and storing the thousands of cut discs accumulated, everyone of them an original!
Nowadays, I am sure most digital video camaras can record many hours to a digital storage device non-stop. They would have to; the delays in railwayland are not any less now than they were back then.

Return to “21st Anniversary of FOTR”