Kenya: Francis Waweru RIP

Steam motive power and operations in the rest of Africa
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Kenya: Francis Waweru RIP

Post by John Ashworth »

Maurice Barasa, Curator of Nairobi Railway Museum wrote:Fellow Steam enthusiasts,

With a heavy heart, I let you know of Francis Waweru's death which occurred two days ago. Francis, an admirer of steam engines and the proprietor of Mawenzi Gardens, ran 3020 to Naivasha and did several trips to Athi-River with the loco. He has been supporting the repair of 2409 and 5918, the Garratt. He will be buried on Friday 24th at the Lang'ata cemetary in Nairobi. He was a leading local operator of steam. May God rest his soul in eternal peace.

Thank you
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Kenya: Francis Waweru RIP

Post by John Ashworth »

From the East_African_Steam Yahoo group:
James Waite wrote:That's really sad news. I well recall a happy couple of hours chatting with Francis during the 3020 trip from Naivasha to Nairobi in 2011 and him taking me to an "alternative" photo spot that he knew during one of its stops in the Rift Valley. A true gentleman and a great loss.
John Ashworth wrote:This is indeed sad news. I worked closely with Francis for a year or two trying to get regular steam trips up and running. We spent many hours together, chatting and working, at times late into the night. He's been off the scene for a year or so with cancer. I last spoke to him a few months ago, and he was hopeful that his treatment was working, although it left him very weak. It's very sad to hear that he has now died. As James says, he was a true gentleman. Kenyan steam will miss him, and I shall miss him personally. RIP.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

From the Garratt Yahoo group:
Geoff Warren wrote:Dear Kenya stem enthusiasts,

Francis Waweru was a successful Nairobi entrepreneur, the kind of person very rarely noticed by the world at large. But surely the global community of railfans must be very grateful to him. The concessioning of Kenya 's railways in 2006 was likely to be the end for steam excursions after five years of struggling to find a market. One cannot expect funds to subsidise heritage steam to come from a new, private-sector management who are taking over a loss-making parastatal.

Francis was the man who created the Kenyan steam revival in 2010 and 2011.

I first met Francis in Maurice Barasa's office in March 2010. His suggestion that short distance steam train excursions aimed at a family market was (and is!) exactly in tune with the success of heritage steam railways in Britain, Germany and elsewhere. The August 2010 trip to Athi River was a learning experience. It was great fun for those of us who were lucky to be there. Francis was filled with enthusiasm to chat with all passengers. And even though it lost money, he remained keen to pursue the concept.

For Geoff Cooke's 2011 tour, I accompanied Francis on some negotiating visits and admired his patient, friendly and positive attitude. Result: a far more ambitious tour for overseas railfans happened (mostly), in less than a year from a "standing start". He was amazingly generous, eg. loaning his private car to reconnoitre photo stops. Some of the ultimate photographic results have been widely disseminated! (Hello James W!)

As has been said, Francis was a real gentleman and leading admirer for the steam heritage of Kenya . For me, it has been a great privilege to know him. My condolences to his family for the loss of an exceptionally good man.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

There's a nice photo of Francis in 2011 at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 319&t=8594

It's the eighth photo, and he is the chap in the centre wearing a blue striped shirt.

Return to “Rest of Africa - Steam Motive Power”