NOCTURNE (SA Steam Locomotives at Night) new Dennis Moore book

News on new books - local and international. News and reviews on magazines as well!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

NOCTURNE (SA Steam Locomotives at Night) new Dennis Moore book

Post by John Ashworth »

Good Day, Ladies & Gentlemen,

I trust this finds you well and may I take this opportunity of wishing you the very best for 2019. Just one new book this time, and it is something rather special.

N O C T U R N E (South African Steam Locomotives at Night)

Available in two versions : Please note that other than the dimensions of the pages, the content of the two versions is otherwise identical, but the standard size is obviously much cheaper)

(I) Very large landscape format 13" x 11" , 33cm x 28cm : hardcover with dustjacket,or image wrap, - your choice. 136 pages

Direct Link for this version of the new book www.blurb.com/b/9209037

(II) Standard landscape format 10" x 8" , 25cm x 20 cm : hardcover with dustjacket,or image wrap, or softcover - your choice. 136 pages

Direct Link for this version of the new book www.blurb.com/b/9211769

FULL CATALOGUE : www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450

Priced from^ just $58, before possible discount - see footnote (A)

( ^ varies according to cover type and format selected by the purchaser )

" N O C T U R N E - South African Steam Locomotives At Night "

is a book unique in South African railway publishing. More than 150 photographs presented in the course of 136 pages and all depicting the magnificent steam locomotives of South African Railways during the hours of darkness. The Author is a prolific photographer, best known for his low light shots taken around sunrise and sunset, but in this Volume demonstrates his determination to record these magnificent machines at all times of the night, running well into the small hours in many instances. This is a 'punchy' book, with a noticeable wow factor …. because when night photography worked well ………. (Practice, practice, practice ~ but it would all be worth it eventually.)

This Volume presents the best of the Author's nocturnal photography in South Africa, recorded over more than two decades. It is but a fraction of the many attempts at such photography because, during the steam era, night-time photography was fraught with difficulties and immense discomfort, and the 'success rate' was often low, due to - inter alia - reliance on slow speed film stock and relatively modest electronic flash equipment. This may surprise some in this age of inexpensive digital photography which renders the taking of such photographs a breeze, but it was a different story back in the day. Locomotive sheds and the yards attached to them are, of course, well portrayed but little more than half the photographic content of this book is so comprised. Notwithstanding the 'unsocial hours' the Author often ventured out to stations, freight yards and the lineside so as to obtain the broadest possible coverage of the nocturnal activities of the steam locomotives of the old S.A.R. Perhaps the most remarkable feature of this book is the incredible variety : no less than 26 different classes are depicted, the vast majority in those memorable 'real steam' days in South Africa. A book that is sure to become a talking point. Those that have seen the proof of this book were kind in their comments, one exclaiming ….. "Well, how do you top that?"

Not just the photographs of course : meticulous design, introductory notes, technical information on the locomotives depicted, caption details (significantly expanded, when warranted) and lively anecdotes - all play their part.

==================================================================

A note on book sizes (standard or very large landscape) : The standard landscape format book should satisfy most readers, the huge very large landscape format version is to cater for some of the Author's regular customers who demand this format, but it is unavoidably rather expensive …. But, then again, it's an awful lot of book! (The choice is yours)

This e-mail is not only intended for potential buyers of this new book (or any other(s) from the catalogue) although that is obviously the primary purpose. However, for those who just wish to browse, you are most welcome . As always, full and free previews of (every page of) every title are available from these links. Just follow the <preview> function. Don't forget to enlarge to <<full screen>>. But if you enjoy these free previews, please consider a purchase from the 47 titles in the catalogue; it is only by much appreciated tangible support that the production of this ambitious series of books is able to continue.

Please also do visit www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450 for all of the Author's forty-seven titles, covering many other countries besides South Africa, although that country will always be the prime focus of this series.

FOOTNOTES / GENERAL INFORMATION (Please read these if you are not familiar with them, as it will answer many of the questions that people have. If it doesn't, please ask me)

(A) DISCOUNTS

First and foremost, may I please draw your attention to pricing. As many of you may be aware, print on demand books are unavoidably a little on the expensive side, but one does not have to pay the catalogue price. If you are buying a book / books, please go to www.goodsearch.com/blurb/coupons , or simply google Blurb Coupon Code , and you will find many sources of discounts available, which code you simply enter towards the end of the checkout process. These coupon codes are common practice in internet mail order and can be a little tricky and irritating, but it is worth persevering. Discounts of up to 25% and even 40% are often available, especially (but not solely) for first time buyers.

(B) DELIVERY COSTS

Delivery costs are inevitably relatively expensive for single copy orders, so prospective customers are urged to please consider buying all titles you may be interested in (from the catalogue of 46 books) in "one go". Or, get together with like minded friends to combine an order. ……………The delivery cost per book then comes down dramatically.

[C] IRRITATING?

As always, it is not my intention to annoy anyone. If you no longer wish to receive these very occasional

communications, please e mail me with the word , and it shall be done.

(D) CHANGING YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS?

Please let me know J

(E) AN APPEAL

Finally, an appeal if you will kindly indulge me. Due to people changing e mail addresses [ a common occurrence these days ] and - sadly - not a few bereavements, my mailing list has shrivelled to just a hundred or so names, so it would really be appreciated if you would PLEASE forward this e mail to anyone you think may be interested, and if they wish to be placed on my mailing list, they only have to let me know. Alternatively , let me know of the relevant e mail addresses - as long as the person concerned permits this, of course.

COMING LATER 2019 / 2020 (N.B. titles may change)

1. Bethlehem to Bloemfontein

2. Rustenburg Platinum Mines

3. Cape Midlands Steam

With best wishes and I hope you find something of interest either in the new book or in the back-catalogue. Please e mail me if you have any queries, or phone me.

REGARDS

Dennis

Dennis Moore, 808 Val de Vie Estate, Paarl 7646, South Africa

E Mail : Moore3450@ictmail.co.za

Telephone +27 44 21 879 0308 ( Within South Africa 021 879 0308 )

CATALOGUE : www.blurb.com/user/store/red3450

Return to “Book/Magazine News”