boiler certificates

Ask a real train driver or fireman questions about how engines work, railways operate or anything else. If we do not know the answer, we will find out!
Dylan Knott

boiler certificates

Post by Dylan Knott »

How long are steam loco boiler certificates valid for? It used to be 9 years, is it different and when did this ruling come into effect?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: boiler certificates

Post by John Ashworth »

At the moment it's three years, although I don't know when that came into effect. All our FOTR loco boilers are re-certified every three years. 2650 is due this coming May.

It seems to be possible to get short-term boiler certificates for special occasions - 3052 got one for a few days so she could be operated for David Shepherd's visit a couple of years back.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Thanks. How long does it take and what does it cost, to recertify a loco? Provided loco was in steam just before the certificate expired and not dumped for years.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Last year we re-certified 3664 at the end of her first 3-year certificate and if I recall correctly she was only out of action for two or three weeks, and even that was mainly due to our limited manpower resources. Others may add to this, but I think the main thing is a visual inspection of the boiler by the inspector. That involves opening all the washout plugs, removing the spark arrestors and plates in the smokebox, removing the brick arch, taking off the dome, etc so that the inspector can examine the boiler properly. I can't remember whether he then does a pressure test as well.

During the recent inspection of 3117 our boiler inspector was very impressed with the non-destuctive testing (ultrasound and magnetic) which we have done on all our locos, and I'm not sure to what extent that is required in South Africa - in some countries I think it would be compulsory.

Not sure about the cost - others may answer that.

Return to “Railway Operations - ask a question about how railways work..”