Kenya: Magadi Railway

How to use the Forum - what you can and cannot do....
Richard Maund

Kenya: Magadi Railway

Post by Richard Maund »

Tata Chemicals Magadi Ltd started operation of a twice-weekly passenger train service between Kajiado and Konza (56km) on the eastern section of the Magadi Railway about five years ago. Can anyone confirm if it still runs?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Kenya: Magadi Railway

Post by John Ashworth »

Richard, I'm intrigued by your question as I live only 25 km from Kajiado and 80 km from Magadi itself (indeed I can see Lake Magadi from my veranda on a very clear day), and I don't know the answer to that question. I've looked Tata Magadi Soda up online and sent them an e-mail. If I don't get a response, I'll try to find a local phone number and give them a bell. I'll let you know the result. Thanks for raising the issue.
Richard Maund

Post by Richard Maund »

FYI: the news item about the original start of the service is at https://kajiado.co.ke/2018/06/19/lenku- ... e-kajiado/
Richard Maund

Post by Richard Maund »

John Ashworth wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 08:27 Richard, I'm intrigued by your question as I live only 25 km from Kajiado and 80 km from Magadi itself (indeed I can see Lake Magadi from my veranda on a very clear day), and I don't know the answer to that question. I've looked Tata Magadi Soda up online and sent them an e-mail. If I don't get a response, I'll try to find a local phone number and give them a bell. I'll let you know the result. Thanks for raising the issue.
Any further info, John, please?

Thanks in anticipation!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Sorry, no, there's been no response from them. I'm travelling at the moment and will be for some time, but when I get back I'll try to call them, or I might even pop down to Kajiado and see if anyone at the station there can give me any info, but it could be a month or two before I get round to it.
Richard Maund

Post by Richard Maund »

John:

Did you get anywhere with the query about whether the Tata Chemicals Magadi Ltd twice-weekly passenger train service between Kajiado and Konza is still running, or not?
Richard Maund

Post by Richard Maund »

John:

Did you get anywhere with the query about whether the Tata Chemicals Magadi Ltd twice-weekly passenger train service between Kajiado and Konza is still running, or not?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

No, sorry, nothing definite. Everyone I talk to thinks that there is nothing regular at the moment, but I haven't yet been able to make contact with anyone in Tata who knows anything. I will try to keep asking around.

Return to “What You Can Get Out Of The Forum!!!!”