Kenyan community wants new railway station to save sacred tree

Other railway topics related to the rest of Africa
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Kenyan community wants new railway station to save sacred tree

Post by John Ashworth »

Gitaru residents: We want the new railway line, station and our mugumo tree
Young Kenyans led by environmental and climate activist Elizabeth Wathuti, 27, have made a big circle around a tree while holding hands. They are sending a message to Gikuyu elders who are warming up to perform a ritual they say is custom before a mugumo tree is made to breathe its last... “I have contacted the Kenya Forest Service who say they cannot do anything and that I should contact Kenya Railways. They are the ones who have instructed that the tree be felled to make way for railway construction,” she says... According to environmentalist Paula Kahumbu, this is a great opportunity for Kenya Railways to show leadership by supporting Kenya’s international climate and environmental commitments and compassion for the people of Kiambu. “Imagine an ancient Mugumo tree towering beside a brand-new railway station — it sends a powerful message of heritage and splendour to all Kenyans and the world”... “I just had a very interesting meeting with an engineer and two other officials from the environment section of the Kenya Railways Corporation. They are keen to explore a win-win option for the station to save the tree. It will cost a bit more but it’s feasible,” Kahumbu tells the Nation on Tuesday. “Designing a station while saving this tree will send a strong message to Kenyans and the world,” she says.

Return to “Rest of Africa - Other Railway Topics”