Class 6B Fort Klapperkop

Photos of locomotives and stock plinthed - can be steam, electric, diesel locomotives or other stockn items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away eventually to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Dylan Knott

Class 6B Fort Klapperkop

Post by Dylan Knott »

Anyone know the current condition of the plinthed class 6B at Fort Klapperkop?

Also anyone heard of Oude Werf Shopping Centre where a Super Frelon and some old locomotives are supposed to be on display?
Geoff Pethick

Re: Class 6B Fort Klapperkop

Post by Geoff Pethick »

There's a scrap dealers in Meyerton which has NBL 4-8-4T 25940/1946 minus tanks and fittings, HT 0-4-0DH 5470/1957 and K-42 Baggage Van 4424. I think this is the place you are referring to.
Regards
Geoff Pethick
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Yes, thanks thats probably it. All for scrap?
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Dylan!

The loco you are reffering to is still at Fort Klapperkop, when I viewed and photographed this engine sometime last year!
Unfortunately this loco has suffer seroious neglect over the years, being exposed to all the elements of the weather! Her tender is extremely rusted right through in many places, and the frame of the tender is also busy rusting away, so it's very unlikely that the tender is a viable option.
With regards to the loco, the chimeny is severly cracked and sits on the smokebox with just one bolt holding it on.
The cab roof, which is part wood are sheet metal has also disappeared with time, and all the brass fittings have since long disappeared. The smokebox is also rusted through, as it has never had a cap placed on the chimney. By now the locos' motion should be completely rusted together, making it difficult to move unless completely stripped down before moving!
I would assume that the boiler is also in a bad state, giving very little evidence of it actual state, most certainly a retube would be required! The driving wheels were reasonably hollow when I last viewed the locomotive!
This loco in my opinion is a "nice to have", but would be a long term restoration project with mega cash required to get it restored!
I'll submitt photos of this loco later tonight when I'm at home!

Regards
Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Gabor. Thanks for the good news, what is the bad news?

Contact details for Klapperkop?

Cheers

Dylan
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi Dylan!

Please find attached pics of my last visit, last year to Fort Klapperkop where the 6B is plinted!
Attachments
Another view of tenders' shovel plate, and the rotting cab roof
Another view of tenders' shovel plate, and the rotting cab roof
IMG_0502 resized.jpg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Rusty holes and gapping cracks can be seen clearly along the base of the tender. Strangly more visiable on the south facing side of the tender!
Rusty holes and gapping cracks can be seen clearly along the base of the tender. Strangly more visiable on the south facing side of the tender!
IMG_0513 resized.jpg (174.21 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
View of the 537's Cab! Not very visiable, but not how the inner cab roof is slowly falling apart, maily due to the wood rotting away, caused by a very leaky outer sleel lining of the cab roof, caused by extensive rust!
View of the 537's Cab! Not very visiable, but not how the inner cab roof is slowly falling apart, maily due to the wood rotting away, caused by a very leaky outer sleel lining of the cab roof, caused by extensive rust!
IMG_0507 resized.jpg (161.48 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Looks good from far, but far from good when viewed from close-up!
Looks good from far, but far from good when viewed from close-up!
IMG_0501 - resized.jpg (177.92 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Thanks, Gabor!

Doesn't look that bad and I have seen worse.

Very easy to load as well.

Cheers
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

As I said, looks nice from far, but far from nice when really looking at it from close!

Undoubtedly easy to load, that is if a low-bead trailer and horse can get there in one piece, as the raod leading up to the Fort is rather narrow, twist and turns, in places rather sharp and to cap it all off, never mind the rather steep grades on the road!

Regards
Gabor
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Yes, well a positive attitude is also good.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Still a two feed lubricator and vacuum ejector in the cab for safe keeping. Nice record pics Gabor, I have not seen the loco for years, but a lowloader will get herdown. To where? For whom and who will pay?

Return to “Plinthed Locos”