Konza train crossing - 3

Photos of Kenyan Diesel Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Konza train crossing - 3

Post by John Ashworth »

9902 arrives with a train of full fuel tankers and empty soda hoppers for the Magadi Soda Company.

the soda company is totally responsible for the branch line from Konza to Magadi, but also operates its own locomotives, wagons and crews all the way to Mombasa.

Photos by John Ashworth 5th June 2008
Attachments
The Magadi train approaches. Note that the signals for the main and second roads are at danger and the train is being admitted into the third road using a green flag. Note also that Assistant Station Master Robert has his red flag with him too, just as in South African practice
The Magadi train approaches. Note that the signals for the main and second roads are at danger and the train is being admitted into the third road using a green flag. Note also that Assistant Station Master Robert has his red flag with him too, just as in South African practice
As 9902 pulls into the third road, RVR driver Richard looks on, no doubt wishing that he had a brand new loco to drive too
As 9902 pulls into the third road, RVR driver Richard looks on, no doubt wishing that he had a brand new loco to drive too
Preparing to drop the token - a plastic bag also contains today's newspapers!
Preparing to drop the token - a plastic bag also contains today's newspapers!
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Konza train crossing - 3

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

John!

I'm refering to the second picture in this series, the yellow disks with a black painted strip through, mounted high on poles on either side of the track formation, are these point/s indicator/s, that are connected to the point/s that are operated by hand?

Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Gabor, they are definitely points indicators, but that's a very good question about which points they are connected to. I'm not sure, to be honest. I'll bear the question in mind for my next trip in July!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Gabor, I've had a think about it/ I'm only guessing, but I reckon they are both connected to the interlocked point for the main line and second road (the point next to the main signal, which the loco is just approaching in the first photo). The disc on the left is for the main line, and shows that the point is set against it. The disc on the right is for the loop (second road), and shows that the point is set for the loop.

Anybody out there who actually knows?
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Thanks John - the first one is great!

Return to “Kenya - Diesel Motive Power - Photo Gallery”