Research: Rail History - Lowveldt

For any research questions you may have about railway equipment, railway people, railway history etc
Dirk Benson

Research: Rail History - Lowveldt

Post by Dirk Benson »

Dear Friends of the Rail Forum.
I am writing a novel and requires historical facts pertaining to the history of the rail development between Waterval Boven and Nelspruit and especially the Barberton connection between 1885 and 1900. When was these lines started and completed? What locomotives were used and who were the contractors or engineers involved?
I will appreciate any information and if you can point me towards other reading material pertaining to the above.
Regards
Dirk Benson
dirk@capecommercial.co.za
072 335 5660
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Research: Rail History - Lowveldt

Post by John Ashworth »

I notice there's been no reply to this yet. I don't know the answer, but what about some of our experts? Dylan? Nathan? Gabor?
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Hi there all!

Unfortunately, I have very limited knowledge on this particular topic, however, I recently purchase Boons' book; "Tracks across the Veldt", which has been rather an interesting read so far for me!
I have yet to get to the chapter in this particular book that makes reference to rail development/s between Waterval Boven and Nelspruit and the Barberton branch.

All I can suggest is that Dirk purchase a book (either in English or Afrikaans) from Boon, for his library! The book is worthwhile having around when needing information about our railway and how the lines have contributed to the developments around SA!

Regards
Gabor
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Perhaps the best two people to get hold of are Les Pivnic, former head of the Transnet Museum, and one of our FOTR members, Eric Samuels, who is a committee member of the Railway History Society of SA (I think that's the organisation's name). When I get their contact details to hand, I will private message you, Dirk.
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

Contact Boon at info@boon.co.za
Not only can he give you details, he will be able to sell you his book which is essential reading for your purposes.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

What is the book about? Is it worth getting for the casual reader? Is it expensive?
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

This book is a real gem. It is a must for the SA railway enthusiast and breaks new ground. Of interest to casual readers too, the price is also reasonable at about R250.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

You've all convinced me. I've just belatedly ordered my copy.

Return to “Railway Research”