2650: leaking stay caps

Members can post FOTR related pictures of 19D 2650 here - screenshots or photographs - 800x600 pixels. Maximum size 130k. They will be pruned after 90 days. If you want to keep
John Ashworth
Site Admin

2650: leaking stay caps

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos by Nathan Berelowitz, October 2012
Attachments
19D number 2650 has had some lagging removed to expose leaking stay caps, which have since been replaced.
19D number 2650 has had some lagging removed to expose leaking stay caps, which have since been replaced.
Cap Park update 21 Oct 2012 009.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Closer...
Closer...
Cap Park update 21 Oct 2012 011.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Close up of the leaking flexible stay caps. One can see how worn they are.
Close up of the leaking flexible stay caps. One can see how worn they are.
Cap Park update 21 Oct 2012 012.jpg (70.94 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Ditto
Ditto
Cap Park update 21 Oct 2012 013.jpg (58.93 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Brendon Anderson

Re: 2650: leaking stay caps

Post by Brendon Anderson »

I hope the stay cap seats are still in good shape?
Replacing just the cap can sometimes be a temporary solution to a longer term problem...
Simon Anderson

Post by Simon Anderson »

Having change only the caps on 2 of our locos at Usr in the past,it was found to be a wasted exercise as the stay seat in the boiler itself is generally in the same condition as the caps you replace.On both occasions the locos ran for another few months untill the seats began to fail with the new caps on.All the working and tightening of new caps on the old seats caused more problems.All I can say is good luck hopefully you guys have more luck than us guys at Usr but looking at the pictures on the post, you heading down the full flexible side stay replacement road.What do the flexible crown stay and ridgid cross stays look like?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Simon, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the good technical advice in your first post!
Simon Anderson

Post by Simon Anderson »

Hi john,thanks,the problem with the seat thats threaded into the outer boiler plate, is that where the thread for the cap steps down to the taper thread of the seat its counterbored for the rocker washer under the stay and that counterbore plus the wastage from the outside and years of rusting, it gets to thin and cracks(leak).Even with a new cap the seat will almost always leak later on.From looking at the SAR drawings and the home work we ve done its a design flaw from new!Most locos in SAR service got overhauled boiler every few years!All of us working locos around the country have never had this kind of overhaul in 30 + years! We have just finished a full flexible stay replacement our 19d 2685 which has taken a full year including other major jobs(R600 000 later)Hopefully it will steam again next month all going well!As I said before Good luck.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

I quite agree with comments made here. The old boiler inspector, now deceased, Johan Smit, said to us once, that when the flexible stays start to go, they follow each other. I was intending to ask you Andersons, what costs are to make such flexible stays as we have a lot of the caps.
Brendon Anderson

Post by Brendon Anderson »

Nathan, if and when you guys start a full flexible stay replacement project, I dont think it would be advisable to use the old SAR caps. We have found that the machined caps which as Simon mentioned have been redesigned with a bigger wall thickness. In addtion, the new steel stands up to corrosion much better than the old cast caps.

On the 19D this job also requires the arch tubes to be removed otherwise there is no space to work especially when rivetting.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Thanks for the reply. Any idea on time and costings on this one? You can rather reply directly to me on email at nbtrainman@gmail.com

Return to “FOTR - Steam Engine 19D 2650”