Why are YOU not posting on the forum?

Any suggestions, comments, questions, or feedback on the FOTR website or forum?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Why are YOU not posting on the forum?

Post by John Ashworth »

As site administrators we keep an eye on the statistics, and in many respects the FOTR forum looks healthy.

We're getting from half a dozen to over 20 new members joining the forum each month. Of our 868 members, over 23% have posted at least one message to the forum, and around 9% are regular posters (in double figures or higher).

We note that many people are viewing the forum, both guests and members. The most people visiting the forum at the same time ever (72) was only a year ago, in January 2013. It does seem to be a site which people come to for information.

However it seems that while people are joining and viewing the FOTR forum, with a handful of notable exceptions they are not posting on it very much. It seems people like to read what is on it, but not to post. I wonder why that is?

Your site administrators continue to post material to keep the site ticking over, and so that it appears on Google searches which will hopefully continue to attract new members and also make it an attractive destination for people seeking information, but it would be nice if more spontaneous conversations could take place. A couple of years ago it looked as if a critical mass had been reached and the conversations had started to spring up, but in the last year or so this has dropped off somewhat.

Any thoughts or comments?
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Why are YOU not posting on the forum?

Post by Steve Appleton »

A very good question, John. I would also be interested to know why members are not using this forum as much as we think they should. After all, this forum is only as good as its contributions.

If there are any specific issues that make it difficult or less desirable to post here we would like to know about them so we can look for or devise solutions.

Perhaps it is that this forum is too formal. That was a deliberate decision made by us at the outset to ensure that the posts made are of good quality and add value to the information contained herein.

Perhaps the forum is too difficult to find, access and use. If so, why and how can we make it easier and better?

Perhaps there are other forums, bulletin boards and list servers that better serve our members' needs. If so, where and what?

Perhaps there are better places to post pictures and the like. I happen to think that Facebook is NOT one of them. Picture libraries on Facebook are personal and not well organised nor, if you are not a "friend" of the poster, can you necessarily even access them. Besides, none of us manages or controls Facebook so if Facebook were ever to change its emphasis or structure, posters may end up loosing all your content.

Perhaps, like a good encyclopaedia, the information and content in this forum is so rivetting, accurate and useful that reading alone suffices. No new posts or responses are deemed necessary.

Please let us know!
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Interesting topic but no real answer here. Still. thanks to John A who actually posts the most, we are more up to date with foreign than local content.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Good point there, Nathan. Where is the local South African content?
Zane de Lange

Post by Zane de Lange »

I view this forum a couple of times during the week. The posts that I find interesting is that of the locomotives, either in operation or under restoration. Also any news and updates on the Hermansstad site. I would enjoy if there was more postings of photos of all the trains and people involved. Thank you for keeping this forum active and keep up the good work!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Zane. Sounds like you're reinforcing Nathan's point that we need more South Africans to post about what is actually happening on the heritage railway scene in South Africa today. Now there's a challenge for all you internet-literate steam enthusiasts!
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Ok I wwill pull out my finger and post stuff. John will publish my photos as he likes to do so seeing as I am steam age and not stream age!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Nathan. May your steam-powered computer continue to chug merrily along!
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Personally I think facebook is killing off contributions. I know I dont visit here as often as I do anymore, but part of the reason for that is I do not really have much new to add. My retrenchment has curtailed a lot of my running around and travelling so I dont really get out as much anymore.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Thanks Derek. Sorry to hear your news - hopefully something will come up soon.......
Kevin Wilson-Smith

My comments on the posting issue.....

1. Facebook is an interesting one! I have feeling that in terms of "railway" postings it does not replace the Forum - but in terms of a "user of peoples time" it does! Facebook is a very different medium to the Forum and is more transient. The Forum is good for recording and finding information.

2. Visitors who do not post. I personally feel there is no issue in visitors who do not post - the fact is the visits show the site is still worthwhile and of use and interest to many!

3. Why the scarcity of South African postings? Maybe there are just not that many South Africans with material to post? Or they are are wary of posting? Or they post in other places and sites? I suspect a bit day to day life weariness and not many people with material!

Remember also the Forum is international too! My biggest interest is Kenya, USA diesels and UK, especially the Underground, as well as SA. I think a lot of people may also have (in fact I know some do definitely) varied interests.

4. I think a lot of people join and view the site but quite honestly do not want to post, or have no material to post.

5. I am a guilty non poster recently. Reasons - travel, work - resulting in nothing to post. Eye ops - difficulty posting! Lastly, sheer tiredness! All reasons applicable to to other people too!

6. I have now posted this month!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Kevin wrote:Remember also the Forum is international too! My biggest interest is Kenya, USA diesels and UK, especially the Underground, as well as SA. I think a lot of people may also have (in fact I know some do definitely) varied interests
Very true. My personal interests include Sudan, Kenya, East Africa, Africa in general, and a residual interest in my country of birth, Britain.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

There has been a slight upturn in posts during February 2013 - over ten posts per day on average.

I wonder whether this conversation has made any contribution to that?
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Maybe, maybe not!

Return to “FOTR - Website and Forum Feedback - Your Suggestions and Questions !”