Steam to Athi River POSTPONED

Steam motive power and operations in the rest of Africa
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Steam to Athi River POSTPONED

Post by John Ashworth »

Attached please find the details of a steam trip to Athi River planned for 26 October 2013.

Charles Raven is the main force behind this, and it is hoped that a good number of Anglican vicars from a conference he is organising in Nairobi the previous week will participate. Members of Friends of the Railway Museum hope to be involved in the trip, and Kevin Patience and I will do what we can to help as usual.
Attachments
Kenyan Steam tour 26_10.13 leaflet.pdf
(449.99 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Re: Steam to Athi River 26 October 2013

Post by Steve Appleton »

Quite expensive at around R900 per person for an afternoon trip. I know it includes transport to and from Nairobi station and also entrance to the heritage house, but this still makes FOTR's all day steam train trip to Cullinan at R200 per person seem a bargain by comparison.
I wonder how the distance travelled and price per kilometer compares to the Cullinan round trip?
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Fair comment, Steve. The distance from Nairobi to Athi River is only about 27 km, I believe, so the trip is about half the Pretoria to Cullinan trip. As you say, it includes buses from the hotels to Nairobi Station, the tour of the heritage house, and tea and snackies. But generally I think one just has to say that South Africa is cheaper than Kenya, so direct comparison of prices doesn't always give the right impression.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

It was confirmed today that this trip is going ahead. I believe the US dollar price has been reduced slightly, and there is also a lower price in Kenya shillings for Kenyan residents. Steve, they must have been listening to you!

Details of the preparation of the loco are posted (and regularly updated) at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 26&t=11710

We will also post some photos soon.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos beginning to appear at http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=319

We'll be posting new photos from now until after the trip, so keep checking that link.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Steam to Athi River 26 October 2013 POSTPONED

Post by John Ashworth »

Regrettably this trip has had to be postponed. The locomotive is working fine, but the commercial and marketing side of things has proved tricky. We are currently in talks with Kenya Railways about costs and hope to be able to run a steam safari in the not-too-distant future.

Return to “Rest of Africa - Steam Motive Power”