Changes to the FOTR Forum

Announcements and News about Friends of the Rail. Photos can be posted here.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Changes to the FOTR Forum

Post by John Ashworth »

Most of you will have noticed the different appearance of the forum, and some of you may have had problems logging in over the last couple of days. The forum has now migrated to a new server and that, along with some software updates, caused a few glitches. Steve has worked long and hard to get it all working properly again. Fingers crossed, it seems to be working fine now, but there might still be further adjustments. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
Zane de Lange

Re: Changes to the FOTR Forum

Post by Zane de Lange »

Thank you John.

The Forum seems to be fine. And I like the new appearance.

Regards
Zane
bernarddodd

Post by bernarddodd »

How are we supposed to use it, no wonder there is only a few using the forum now, how do we post messages, photos etc. Everything has been changed, crazy, Bernard Dodd
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Bernard, sorry to hear that you don't like the new format, and thanks for your feedback. It was due to circumstances beyond our control, not by our own choice: the template we were using was no longer being supported, so we had to move to a more recent one. It's the curse of the internet, particularly for us older users, that everything seems to change constantly; just as we get used to using something, it changes. However I think this is the same format that Railroad.Net is using, and they have around 12 thousand members and hundreds of posts per day, so it seems railway enthusiasts can adapt to it eventually!

I think you will find that all the old features are still there, just that some of them are in different positions on the screen. If you go to any of the sub-fora, you will find the "New topic" button top left. To reply to an existing message, there is a "Post reply" button both top left and bottom left. To post photos as attachments, once you have opened a new message (either by clicking "New topic" to start a new topic or "Post reply" to reply to an existing one) you'll see an "Upload attachments" button bottom left. Click on that and you'll see the "Filename" box with a "Choose file" button, and also the "File comment" box. Once you get that far, it's the same as the old system. Remember that you can only post photos in the photogallery sub-fora.

Good luck with using it, and we hope you will post more often despite the changes. If you have any specific problems, I suggest you send a Private Message to me and/or Steve Appleton and we can guide you through them. You'll find a link at the top left which tells you how many new messages you have, eg "(0 new messages)" for me at the moment. Click on that link and it takes you to your Private Message page which I think is still functioning the same as the old one.

Return to “FOTR - Announcements and News”