The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

Other railway topics related to Europe.

Moderator: John Ashworth

rogerfarnworth

The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

Post by rogerfarnworth »

In January 2020, my wife and I stayed, once again, to the Southeast of the City of Lancaster and explored the area between the Line estuary and the Wyre estuary. It is a superb area for watching overwintering birds!

It gave me another opportunity to look at railways in the area. After a visit in November 2019 when I explored the Glasson Dock branch, this time I took the chance to explore the railway which linked Knott End at the mouth of the River Wyre with the West Coast mainline near Garstang.

The first of two articles can be read by following the link below. ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/01/28/th ... way-part-1
The area across the River Wyre from Fleetwood was, for many years, quite isolated. There was a ferry across the river to Fleetwood, which still operates in the 21st century, otherwise, narrow un-metalled roads had to suffice.

The local community, particularly those with agricultural interests, were determined to have a railway. The line was built between Garstang and Pilling by those local agricultural interests to develop unproductive land. It had been intended to continue to Knott End but the company ran out of money. It eventually opened between Garstang and Pilling in 1870.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

Post by John Ashworth »

When I was a small child in the 1950s and early '60s we used to have a great-aunt who lived in Knott End. We would visit maybe once a year, taking a train from Euston to various points in the northwest, although I can't remember exactly which station we eventually got off at nor by what means we ended up in Knott End. Blackpool, Preston, Wigan and Warrington are all stations which ring a bell. The northwest was the last bastion of British Rail steam right up to the end in 1968, so we'd see a lot of steam engines.

I have clear memories of walking down to the jetty in Knott End, taking the little ferry across the river to Fleetwood, and getting the tram into Blackpool.
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

I am glad to have brought back those memories for you.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Come to think of it I also recall Fleetwood Station, and that might have been where we would arrive, probably from Preston, and then take the ferry across to Knott End.

That photo of Knott End cafe in your article looks vaguely familiar.
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

This is my second article about the line between Knott End and Garstang. It completes the full length of the line. I am very grateful to a number of people for permission given to publish their photographs as part of the article. You will see their pictures referenced throughout.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/02/08/th ... ay-part-2/

I hope that I will get round to publishing one further article about the motive power and rolling stock on the line.
The featured image for this article is a Garstang & Knot End Railway cast iron Trespass Sign dated December 1899. GW Railwayana Auctions described it as "A Grade 1 cast iron sign that hasn't appeared for sale or publicly before and the most significant cast iron find of this century. The sign was acquired by the vendor in the 1960's and was from Cogie Hill Halt which was on the section between Pilling and Garstang Town which closed in July 1963. Nicely restored measures 24in x 15in." It sold in November 2019 for £3,800.

Pilling Station was the most westerly point on the Garstang and Knott End Railway from the completion of the first phase of its construction in 1870 until the eventual construction of the line through to Knott End in 1908. It was actually placed in the hamlet of Stakepool around a mile from Pilling itself.

As noted in the previous article about the line, locomotives had to cross into the road junction at the West end of the station site in order to run round their trains. The station site was approximately as drawn on the adapted OS Map extract.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Roger. Interesting stuff.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Not Knott End, but just a short ferry ride away!

How Britain fell back in love with the railways
A pledge to roll back the Beeching cuts has rekindled a strange national obsession...

For Fleetwood, it now looks like a commitment: to reopen the abandoned seven-mile stretch that linked the once thriving port via Thornton-Cleveleys to the rest of the railway network at Poulton-le-Fylde. This would enable the town’s inhabitants to travel by train to the main-line junction at Preston and thence, with a few changes, to London, Paris and indeed — if they have the money, time and stamina — practically anywhere on the Eurasian landmass.

This would be a big deal for Fleetwood. The roads in this corner of Lancashire are inadequate. And Fleetwood, just north of Blackpool on the tip of the Fylde peninsula, is one of the most depressed towns in Britain. (Indeed, it has widespread clinical depression.) It is a fishing port with almost no fishermen; an industrial town with almost no industry; and a seaside resort with few holidaymakers. The return of the railway could play a major role in transforming its fortunes by attracting new residents and investors...
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

I have heard rumours that this will happen. It will be good for the area.
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

A link to a Financial Times story about the same line. .....

https://www.ft.com/content/0390176c-57d ... 03987b7b20
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Roger, but isn't that the same link I posted? Or am I missing something?
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

You might be right. I did not pick up the Financial Times Link. Apologies.
rogerfarnworth

Post by rogerfarnworth »

This is a third article about the branch and it includes information about motive power and the rolling stock used on the line. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2023/12/13/th ... way-again/

Return to “Europe - Other Railway Topics”