Gold Reef City - what is this #1?

Photos of locomotives and stock plinthed - can be steam, electric, diesel locomotives or other stockn items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away eventually to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Gold Reef City - what is this #1?

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Still in good condition - is the paint scheme authentic though?

What engine is this? Gabor? Type? Operator?
Attachments
K R Wilson-Smith 16 July 2008
t1.JPG (130.01 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Gabor Kovacs
Friends of The Rail

Re: Gold Reef City - what is this #1?

Post by Gabor Kovacs »

Kevin,

The 2nd picture has no resemblance to the others in this series!

I’m not really too enthusiastic about small 2ft gauge locos, never have been much of a fan either, so can’t tell you too much other than that this loco, and stand to be correct here, is or was an industrial loco that use to operate on the Sub Nigel Gold Mine, just outside Springs near Nigel on the East rand. Maybe John Middleton, in the USA can shed further details on this particular NG loco!?

If my memory serves me correct, after this locomotive was retired from the above mentioned mine, for a short while Gold Reef City (GRC) in the early days, did operate this and other NG and NGG steam locos for the sole purpose of pulling passenger trains around the mine museum.
Sadly, the all the steam locos were retired when GRC started it massive expansion and remodelling of their property in the mid 80’s, to accommodate the amusement park and where today the roller-coasters, and water log rides are located!
SAR - Steam Active Recruit
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Thanks Gabor - put the right photo in!

And loco number 2? ......................

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 204&t=2706
carldasnevesvieira

Post by carldasnevesvieira »

hi to all

just been having a look at the photo.
is it not a CGR 2 foot loco---I remember reading somewhere that such still existed and its origins were with the Cape Government Railways.

Cheers
CARLOS
Paul Ash

Post by Paul Ash »

Gabor,

I believe this loco is actually ex-Rustenburg Platinum Mine, back when RPM's surface railway was 2' gauge. There IS a Sub-Nigel 0-6-2T at Gold Reef City, plinthed under the mine's headgear. Sub-Nigel was 2'6" gauge.

cheers

Paul

Return to “Plinthed Locos”