Classic Diesels for Preservation?

Diesel motive power and operations in Southern Africa
Mike Haslam
Site Admin

Re: Classic Diesels for Preservation?

Post by Mike Haslam »

Not necessarily Dylan. FotR was formed for the preservation of all things railway. If someone comes along who is keen and willing, I believe ANY project would be supported by the members as long as there is a plan and an achievable outcome. So, I suggest that if a member can source a diesel or electric locomotive and get a team to help him on a regular basis, such a locomotive would head or at least be equal in priority list.

It is not the will to preserve which is lacking, it is the available manpower, finance and application of common sense which dictates what is done.
\ ^ /
0 Turtle
/ v \

wame nuttauwadtuongash
Jez Smith

Post by Jez Smith »

Why just diesels? Let's not forget Classes 1E-5E1 are all history now (on the main-line, at least). Why not save a Class 5E1 (or 2 of them)? I bet if they were painted up in SAR Blue Train livery, people would be happy to travel behind them.
If there were a couple of 5E1's preserved, I would glady support their upkeep (albeit from the UK!), and would love a trip behind a pair, as their traction motor blowers sound great.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Ah, those traction motor blowers...

It's 2 am at Capital Park. All is quiet. You threw the match into the firebox of a steam locomotive several hours ago, you've sprinkled a bit of coal around from time to time, and she's just beginning to sing softly. Peaceful, restful, calm, drowsy, solitary, you feel there might not be another wakeful soul for miles around... then all of a sudden the traction motor blowers start up on the electric units in the TFR yard, splitting the night with their loud whine, waking up the poor firelighter...

But yes, electric units are also classic traction that need preserving. If money and manpower can be found, I don't see why FOTR shouldn't have some.
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

We have a classic motor coach driving unit with wonderfull seating space in it just dying to be restored. Will get a photo of it soon and post, so come on lads lets go for it!!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Several photos of this classic electric motor coach to which Nathan refers can be found here
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

There are a few electrics preserved as follows:

ES - E511 Krugersdorp shed.
ES - E518 Ladysmith Danskraal PX Depot.
1E - E1 Krugersdorp shed.
1E - E23 Nigel UCW plinthed.
1E - E25 Ladysmith Danskraal PX Depot.
3E - E201 Bellville Diesel Depot.
4E - E219 Krugersdorp shed.
4E - E258 Bellville Diesel Depot.
5E - E259 Bellville Diesel Depot.
5E - E262 Bellville Diesel Depot.
5E - E263 Bellville Diesel Depot.
5E1 - E613 Bellville Diesel Depot.
5E1 - E615 Bellville Diesel Depot.

Plenty of 5E and 5E1 in industrial service along with two ES.
Metrorail at Salt River ERS has 2 x 5E's and a 5E1.

None of the stock listed above are in service and there is a real danger of losing the class ES for good. One of the other 1E's should also be saved.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Obviously burning diesel like they do at the Grand Canyon Railway Company is much more expensive than burning it in a controlled environment like a engine cylinder!

I have an interesting question: What would have happened to the Avontuur NG line had it not been for the class 91 diesels? Would spoornet have retained steam traction on this line (like British rail have done on some of their narrow-gauge lines until the not-to-distant-past) or rather have abandon it long ago? (and left the possibility of running steam totaly out of the question)

This would be a good indication about what will happen to the clubs should it use diesls or electrics, either empowering steam for another few years or changing totally to diesel and abandon whatever steam we have left.
Luca Lategan...
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

I believe diesel has a role to play in keeping steam alive, if we cant run steam during winter then we can run diesel, classic or not. That layup during winter is maintenance time for the steam locos, and the clubs keep in the public eye. The problem is that if trains dont run people will loose interest, and I also think new destinations could be sought, diesel may give us that ability to venture to places where steam would be given the thumbs down. A growler, while not the most exciting of vehicles does have a lot of positives about it. But then they are not all that easy to find at a good price. The wonderful Zimbabwean diesel they have at RS is just crying out to make its debut on our rails. She is a beautiful machine and I would love to see her run. She will put all our diesels to shame. But it will cost a mint to get her running.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Diesels has taken the place of steam and that I think that is what puts most steam lovers (of which I am one) off about diesels.

This weekend I chased a class 36 heading the 'draadtrein' here on the Stellenbosch loop at 155k's, I didn't even know my tjorrie could go that fast, it gave me such satisfaction when I caught it at a levelcrossing just as I stopped there and I knew what all the steam nuts went on about. If it was an F or condenser that I had to catch I'm sure I could push it up to 165k's! Giving a diesel a new life to the expense of a steam lady would be a disgrace in my eyes!
Luca Lategan...
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

I chase the class 35 freight trains on the SLP line quite regularly. Nothing beats the sound of them thundering up the pass with 40 odd wagons. Never experienced steam in its heydey on this section, yet imagine it must have been great.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

They must go up and down therea at very odd times in during my 15 years of vacation in Hermanus and even after that I have not seen a single train on the whole line.
Luca Lategan...
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Hermanus has a station, but no railway line. :-p

3 UP and 3 DOWN in 24 hrs.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Certainly not every day?! If it IS the case, most certainly only in the grain season
Luca Lategan...
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Daily, incl weekends!

Has a lot to do with metro traffic, but now that Somerset West has reopened there is a loop to use.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Do they have enough diesels at Bellville? Last I heard trains cancelled often due to lack of motive power
Luca Lategan...

Return to “South Africa - Diesel Motive Power”