Photography - official positions.

SLR and Compact Digital Cameras. Discussions, hints and tips.
trevorstaats

Re: Photography - official positions.

Post by trevorstaats »

I got picked up by security at Krugersdorp back in 1997 - the security manager was extremely unpleasant. Her minions had marched me across the tracks to the platform for my "interview", after which she threatened me with fines and arrest if I crossed the tracks to get back to my car.

In any case, two 25NCs arrived with the Trans Karoo and in the noise and smoke I dashed back to the car. When the train was ready to depart I jumped out with the tripod and took my video. I was at least 25m from the tracks - I don't know what the problem was?
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

Man, they're just 'orig' it's much easier to target law-abiding photographers than drunk bergies catching a free ride.
Luca Lategan...
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

I met some one taking photos of trains at N1 City last week. He told me that he was arrested and dragged off to Bellville. They threatenend to confiscate his camera. He had to delete the photos in front of them. He pretended to and was let off. I see people walking up the line (on the line) from Monte Vista to N1 City (about 500metres). That's OK but don't bring out a camera. That's worse than robbing someone. Again trying to get a permit is impossible. They are of the idea that you motive is sabotage.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

I carry a two way radio (well as part of EMS) but this, a green reflective jacket, a white bakkie and a hard hat results in no problem. If someone asks who I am I reply "Spoornet" and add a few adjectives! It may also have something to do with an angro attitude and being 6' 5"!!!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

I was talking to some TFR staff the other day (in May) and they told me the previous day an advisory had been sent out regarding photographers. This had been following an "incident" with a photographer at Belfast. I asked them what the incident was and what the advisory said, and they called over other staff who were also aware of both the foregoing. Unfortunately no one had taken much notice of the details, so really did not know what it was about!

I ask permission generally and have had no issues so far.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

We had a similar problem with photography many years back in Durban harbour and after representations were made to the Port Authority we were given permits that allowed us carte blanche (within reason) in the harbour, we had to carry the permits and have ID, but generally speaking waving that piece of paper made life so much easier. Maybe a similar thing could be negotiated with the new powers that be? When I get busted I usually compliment the person busting me on being alert and doing their job, because I would hope that they are alert enough to stop somebody who isnt taking photographs but has some other nefarious activity under their arm.
Its the overzealous pompous "I have authority" types that get up my nose.
Treat the bona fide photographers well and they will look after your property too.
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

In steam days, we used to go to the sysstem managers office to get an indemnity form signed. Later on no one even bothered. I was once arrested at Pretoria station by a Stasie Blompot railway police, but spoke my way out of it." Does you gots a permit!!!"

I was also followed by security police in Mossel Bay.
I am glad I dont really do modern traction stuff anymore unless it is in a depot, so I have pity on you platform photographers!

Return to “Photography - Still Photography”