Sudan Steam in 1960

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related in the Sudan! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Ian Roberts

Sudan Steam in 1960

Post by Ian Roberts »

Attached are a couple of Sudan Railways Locos, both in steam at Port Sudan in 1960

2-6-4T No.31 at Port Sudan 1960

4-8-2 No 537 at Port Sudan 1960

Sorry about the extreme shadows but this was original Kodachrome which had problems in this department

Ian
Ian
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Re: Sudan Steam in 1960

Post by John Ashworth »

Thanks, Ian. I take a special interest in Sudanese steam, as I've lived and worked there for much of the last 26 years. Unfortunately the only time I've actually seen steam there was in 1983 or '84, when I stood for hours watching a loco shunting in Kosti. In those days cameras were not encouraged, so I have no pictures of my own, but I have posted quite a few Sudan rail pictures which I found on the internet. I've moved this to the Sudan photo gallery.
Ian Roberts

Post by Ian Roberts »

John,

Glad you liked them, but it looks like you had already found them on the web earlier and posted them in Sudan Live Steam.

I didn't know Sudan Steam was so rare.

I did see a 4-6-2 outside Khartoum Airport in 1974 while taking off for Port Sudan via Atbara but that is another long story over a couple of Camel beers.

I have a book "Twighlight of World Steam" by Zeil & Egleson which has three pictures; two from Khartoum in the 70's 4-8-2 537 & an unknown 4-6-2. Also a from 1967 a Hunslet 0-6-0T at Atbara

Ian
Ian
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

One of my goals is to visit Atbara eventually and see what's still lying around there. During the years when I lived in the south of Sudan I couldn't get to the north, and during the years when I lived in Khartoum it was an era of state security and travel permits, so I also didn't make it to Atbara. Now when I visit Khartoum I'm usually there for a very short time for work, bit one of these days I'll tack some holiday onto a business trip and go to Atbara. There's a new tarmac road and new luxury buses, and I have plenty of colleagues I could stay with, so no excuse really!

Return to “Sudan and South Sudan - Photo Gallery”