Vaalwater station decay

Photos of Southern African Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous railway items! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Chris Janisch

Vaalwater station decay

Post by Chris Janisch »

It was not long ago that the farming community of the Waterberg has their own little branch line. They depended on the daily train for all their agricultural supplies and the locals used it to travel to town. There was even a Grape Festival which brought special steam workings to this line.
Since dieselisation in 1985, the Nylstroom-Vaalwater line has been in decline. I remember seeing 3 24s all ready for action on a Sunday afternoon at Nylstroom, in the last winter of steam. The 35s were used for a while, but from the early 90s the line's fortunes declined along with all the other country branchlines in SA. The last train ran here about 10 years ago.
Even this fact could not prepare me for the shock of seeing this station today. What was once the hub of the community is now an overgrown rabble. Yes, the tracks are still there, and the water columns and ashpits, if you look carefully enough; but it is very depressing.
There is talk that Transnet do not want to hand over this line yet, and it may see future rehabilitation as a coal and ore link from the mines in the north-west.
Attachments
View facing south
View facing south
Waiting for the train that will never come
Waiting for the train that will never come
Trashed ticket office
Trashed ticket office
View facing north, 4 parallel tracks showed it was once busy
View facing north, 4 parallel tracks showed it was once busy
Richard Wadley

Re: Vaalwater station decay

Post by Richard Wadley »

I refer to Chris Janisch's article on the old Vaalwater-Nylstroom line, posted on 10 May 2009.
I am currently researching the history of this line as part of a programme to develop historical stories of the Waterberg that can be used in the production of a brochure to promote the Waterberg Biosphere Reserve. (Volume 1 of the Waterberg Meander was published last November). Vaalwater is the only 'town' in the Reserve and the railway line was an important part of its development.
I already have a great deal of material about the process leading up to the building of the line (it was formally opened on 1 October 1925); but would be grateful to receive anything that members might have and be willing to allow for publication. Photographs of trains running along the line would be especially valuable, as would any details of the locomotives used, train configurations etc. I'm also still trying to establish when scheduled services on the line ended (as Chris writes, there were subsequently special trains as part of the annual Nylstroom grape festival). If there are any living former personnel who worked on the line, I'd be pleased to try and interview them.
I'll be happy to post the whole article on this site for the interest of members once it's completed.
Richard Wadley
yeldaw@mweb.co.za
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Welcome to the forum, Richard. I'm sure some of our members will be able to help you.
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

Richard, I can assist. I a,m away at present so please contact me after 5 July via the email link.

Chris
Richard Wadley

Post by Richard Wadley »

Hi,
In June 2010, I joined the Forum to ask about any photographs or other information members might have about the Nylstroom (Modimolle)- Vaalwater railawy line, which operated from 1925 until the late 1980s. This followed an article by Chris Janisch on the subject the previous month. I subsequently saw several photographs, taken by Chris, Nathan Berelowitz and Dennis Mitchell. I have since expanded my research to include a history of the entire Waterberg plateau, a work that is now almost complete and ready to be submitted for publication.
I would like to request permission from the photographers listed to use a couple of their images in the chapter on the development of the railway line. I'd be very grateful to hear from them.
With regards,
Richard Wadley yeldaw@mweb.co.za; 083 609 1425
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

Sure that is fine Richard, will follow up with the others. Have a nice one by Dick Manton I will send to you.

Chris

Return to “South Africa - Stations, Signals, Infrastructure and Miscellaneous”