5274,60 Hawkmount October 1972

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related to Australia and New Zealand! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

5274,60 Hawkmount October 1972

Post by John Ashworth »

Dennis Mitchell wrote:Dear South African ferrochronologists,

This is N.S.W. steam in it's final months; the 2-8-0 [5274 1911] was more at home on coal trains that loped along at 15-20 m.p.h. but is out on the mainline due to

1 The oil crisis had as many steam out as possible;

2 59 CLASS 2-82 s that normally assisted had all bar one been withdrawn waiting scrap, because total dieselisation was only 3 months away.:

So, this poor old 2-8-0 that normally just shuffled along is being shoved by the garratt at speeds it probably hadn't reached for many years.

The 60 class were our only garratt class were built the same time as your GMA/M s but only had half the life .They were comparable to a GEA tractive effort wise but had mechanical stokers.

5274+6042 Hawkmount October 1972.

Dennis
Attachments
Photo by Dennis Mitchell
Photo by Dennis Mitchell
Derek Walker

Re: 5274,60 Hawkmount October 1972

Post by Derek Walker »

I am curious, what can be gained by having a seriously underpower loco running ahead of a very powerful like they have in that pic? Surely it makes sense to have 2 locos of roughly the same tractive effort/power running double headed? All I can see is this Garratt shoving this loco along while dragging a train behind it. What are the limitations/requisites to be able to run a train double headed? I can understand the context of oil crisis and withdrawl of steam, but isnt this train really a waste? (albeit a great one to photograph).
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: 5274,60 Hawkmount October 1972

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Love those AD60's. I have a brilliant book on them titled "The 60 Class". Really good.

Return to “Australia/New Zealand - Photo Gallery”