In the Gautrain.

Photos of the Gautrain System! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
James Attwell

In the Gautrain.

Post by James Attwell »

What it looks like inside. Very modern with LED boards showing destinations, time est.
Attachments
Union Carriage 029.jpg
Union Carriage 029.jpg (149.55 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Union Carriage 030.jpg
Union Carriage 030.jpg (148.39 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Union Carriage 036.jpg
Union Carriage 036.jpg (171.59 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Union Carriage 039.jpg
Union Carriage 039.jpg (141.76 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
Stefan Andrzejewski

Re: In the Gautrain.

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

How Long is the journey going to take from OR Tambo to Sandton?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

The inside of the coach appears to be modelled on the high-density seating (5 seats abreast) used on UK inner suburban stock, ie for shorter journeys. It can be a bit cramped!
Jez Smith

Post by Jez Smith »

John Ashworth wrote:The inside of the coach appears to be modelled on the high-density seating (5 seats abreast) used on UK inner suburban stock, ie for shorter journeys. It can be a bit cramped!
You're right, John - In fact, the company I work for - Merseyrail (a very high-density operator), have abandoned this seating arrangement as evacuation in emergencies is better carried out with traditional 2+2 seating.
Also, the seats look VERY uncomfortable - nothing more than moulded plastic with a bit of velour glued on....
Nathan Berelowitz

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Thanks for the posting. Nice to see these easily viewed on this forum.
Should be interesting to see how the G forces will affect the passengers! Metro Blitz at speed, when you went to the toilet, there was almost a decompression in there when flushing!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

It is going to be very crampred -= especially for the larger passengers trying to get down the aisles. Luggage areas?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I've travelled frequently on the high-density trains out of London's Liverpool Street Station and the five-abreast seating is not only cramped, but often results in not all the seats being properly utilised. It is difficult to climb in and out of the inner seats when other passengers have their legs and luggage crammed in between, and larger passengers tend to overlap the middle seats. I'm pleased to hear, Jez, that your TOC is modifying them.

Lack of adequate luggage space has been a complaint on many ordinary British trains. The Heathrow and Gatwick Expresses, dedicated to airport service, have plenty of luggage space. Since Gautrain serves O R Tambo International, one would hope that it will also have extra luggage space.
Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Agreed. As a service that is intended to get people out of their cars for the commute between Jhb and Pretoria, as well as the transfer to ORT, this is cramped, uncomfortable seating - especially given the narrow-width UK-body interiors. If Gautrain had used UIC-standard-width stock, as was once suggested before the line was built, this would have been less of a problem.
Talking of luggage, did you know that PRASA's Metrorail charges extra for on-board luggage? When I find the article, I will post it to the Metrorail section.

Posted. See: http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... 989#p15989
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
Marc Russell

Post by Marc Russell »

Our entire suburban system is layed out this way, on two levels. The difference being is that our seats can be flipped over to suit the diection of travel
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

We used to have the flip-over seats on old trams in UK. I think you can still find it on one or two tourist railways like the Southend Pier (if it hasn't burned down again since last time I looked).
M. Hardy-Randall

Post by M. Hardy-Randall »

I really do not understand the fixation some companies have with aircraft style interiors. With more people becoming 'thinly challenged' wider seats are required.

Return to “Gautrain”