Metros in the Northern Suburbs

Photos of Southern African Metro Rail Systems! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Carl van der Linde

Metros in the Northern Suburbs

Post by Carl van der Linde »

Some metros on the Stikland line north of Bellville
Attachments
The end of peak hour on a chilly evening in the Cape
The end of peak hour on a chilly evening in the Cape
Downgrade on the long stretch between Stikland and Brackenfell on a saturday evening. They must reach close to the maximum allowed speed here
Downgrade on the long stretch between Stikland and Brackenfell on a saturday evening. They must reach close to the maximum allowed speed here
Stikland8.jpg (129.78 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
Old faithful to Malmesbury, express through Stikland station
Old faithful to Malmesbury, express through Stikland station
Stikland5.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
About 18:20 on a Tuesday evening, leaving Stikland for Brackenfell and beyond
About 18:20 on a Tuesday evening, leaving Stikland for Brackenfell and beyond
Stikland1.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Re: Metros in the Northern Suburbs

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Carl - I like your second picture - very nice to see an evening shot!
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Great Photo's Carl. Were you not harassed by station security?
Ashley Peter

Post by Ashley Peter »

So the Malmesbury train does sometimes get beyond Bellville! When our excursion group (RSSA Natal) tried to do the trip in July it took about two hours to get from Cape Town to Bellville (delays due to single line working at the Windermere station construction site, faulty signalling as well as faulty doors & lights on the train set) and then they simply cancelled it! Passengers were advised to take the next train to Kraaifontein from where they would be conveyed by bus to Malmesbury, but as we were there for the train ride, that was hardly an option! They did at least give us a partial refund...
Carl van der Linde

Hi Stefan, most of those pictures were taken from the footbridge above Stikland station. The security all seemed to be standing on the opposite Cape town bound platform. On my weekend train rides I use Bellville or Brackenfell (either side of Stikland). Brackenfell has a nice footbridge where you can get side shots. I'd be a bit fearful of security taking my camera out on Bellville or Cape Town station so there I would not chance it.

Regarding old faithful having a bad day, Ashley, she is a one of a type set, not quite standard stock metro. The seats are ever so slightly harder as far as Metro plus seating is concerned. I've only taken that train set to Brackenfell, but it is different, looking out the window and seeing your passenger train being pulled by something other than the standard EMUs.
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Is this train safe to travel on. A young lady wanted to take her two small kids for a train ride and asked me if the Saturday Malmersbury was okay. After what I had seeing I said I don't think so. I took these photos last year at Kalbaskraal just out side Malmersbury one Saturday afternoon.
Attachments
I don't think that they are drinking tea.
I don't think that they are drinking tea.
IMG_4812RR.jpg
Carl van der Linde

Safety on trains has always been a controversial issue. The Saturday Malmesbury train makes a trip from Malmesbury to Cape Town in the morning and then around one pm or so makes the return journey. Most of the smiling faces pictured would be unwinding on a Saturday journey home. Often, stocked with supplies of liquid refreshment in brown paper bags. I felt safe, though the celebratory atmosphere was not quite what I'm used to on trains. I do get off at Brackenfell, so I dont really not what happens afterwards.
On Monday and Wednesday (I think) there is an extra journey from Cape Town to Malmesbury and back in the middle of the day. Again from Cape to Bellville I spotted more security than passengers.

On another note regarding train safety, the standard busier metro routes over the Northern and Southern suburbs ie Cape Town to Bellville and Cape Town to Wynberg are well patronized over weekends so I've always felt safe, even coming home at 6pm on a Sunday in winter. Its further out where the trains become emptier later in the day that I would not feel quite as relaxed.
Sunday day trips on the Stellenbosch branch also seem fine with lots of security on the trains.
Luca Lategan

Post by Luca Lategan »

I can support Carl fully on his last post, Except when I recently blatantly forgot my camera on board a Metro train nothing has ever happened to me resulting from going by Metro in the Cape.

Gauteng is of course a whole different story...
Luca Lategan...

Return to “Metro Rail Systems”