Trainz 2009 World builder edition

News on developments with a South African Flavour for MSTS - locos, rolling stock, routes etc. Screenshots should be no larger then 800 pixels wide and 600 pixels deep. No larger then 130k as well!
Morne Bothma

Trainz 2009 World builder edition

Post by Morne Bothma »

Does any one here use Trainz 2009 by Auran? I can highly suggest this as the graphics is 100 times better than MSTS and very realistic. If any one is currently using this software I would like to know where I can download some SA rolling stock.
HenryLazenby

Re: Trainz 2009 World builder edition

Post by HenryLazenby »

I bought the Trainz 2010: Engineers Edition and must say its rather disappointing. The 2006 version gave me more pleasure... It needs a heavy graphics card to run smoothly, (the recommended hardware does not cut it!) Also glitchy in several activities, including some very (disturbingly basic) activities... With no steam action, unless you edit activities yourself...
Would also like to know where to get some SA stock... And how to install it...
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

Have a look at Railworks if you want realism. From motor cars with working headlights to containers and gondolas that can be unloaded etc. Visually stunning - handlable by a resonably specked machine as well.

Look at some of the shots I posted here.....

http://www.friendsoftherail.com/phpBB2/ ... .php?f=219

It was develped by Kuji (who did MSTS) and as a result feels like MSTS 2. Fixed all the MSTS bugs - front coupling etc. Also alows one to switch cabs etc. which is nice for yard work etc.

My Avatar is a straight screenshot from the slightly earlier version (Rail Simulator renamed to Railworks)
Morne Bothma

Post by Morne Bothma »

I have to agree that this Railworks sim looks pretty good Kevin! Yes Henry trainz is quite heavy in the graphics card! I have a pretty good graphics card and still during cerain activities especialy when you have a dense town with a lot of buildings not running a 100% smooth! But that has been a problem even with 2006!
Kevin Wilson-Smith

Post by Kevin Wilson-Smith »

I used the early Trainz. Is there a big improvement with the more recent versions?
Morne Bothma

Post by Morne Bothma »

I had Trainz 2006 and there is quite an improvement to TS2009! U need a pretty good graphics card. What also help is when you set your AGP memory in the BIOS to 128mb instead of 64mb that made quite a diffenrence also! I imported direct from Auran in Australia last year and the deal was by one get one free at the time. I still have a sealed copy if you are interested for free. It is just sitting in the cupboard!! You seem like you are into train sims then you can check out your self! I made a nice dicovery re SA consist for trainz 2009 etc. The site http://www.paulztrainz.myenet.info/ has got the complete blue train set, 34, 36 class diesel and some goods wagons and looks like pretty good quality but payware though!
Niel Wilson

Post by Niel Wilson »

Hi all,

I don’t have Trainz but I do build models for MSTS. I’m not familiar with the details of Trainz but it might be possible to convert MSTS models so that they can be used in Trainz.

This would depend on what software is used to create Trainz content. You’d also need to have access to the original MSTS project files, something that model builders don’t normally give up rights to easily. I know that there are some differences between the two Sims in the way models are structured but it should be possible to work around this.

So two questions;
1. Does anyone know if Gmax can be used for Trainz 2009 and is there a gamepack that is easily available?
2. Does anyone know of any decent Trainz tutorials or other relevant documentation that explains the creation of Trainz objects?

I’m not saying that it can be done, so no promises. Theoretically if a model is been built in software that is common between the two Sims, it should be possible to get the model to work in both Sims.

Chow,

Niel
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Niel, welcome to the FOTR forum - your first post, I believe.
Niel Wilson

Post by Niel Wilson »

John, thanks for the welcome. Yip that was my first post.

I've done some reading about model construction for Trainz and from that was able to answer both my questions. It turns out that Gmax can be used for the creation of Trainz models but that was for the earlier editions, Trainz 2004 / 2006. It can still be used for the 2009 edition but you can do some of the new fancy features (not sure what these features are exactly). To be able to have these new features models need to be created in 3D Studio Max (Gmax's big brother) or Blender. While models can be converted from Gmax to either of the other two apps it can get messy with parts that move and the texture mapping gets mashed.

The way models are finally exported for MSTS and Trainz is really different to. In MSTS the whole model is exported as one file where as Trainz models are actually made up of several different files which are added to the main model using some scripting. For example: if you have an electric loco there is one file for the bogie, one file the main body and one file for the pantograph etc. This isn't a big issue to get around. There are also differences in the way animation and the texture mapping / materials are done. Again it would probably won't be hard to get around once the Trainz process is understood.

I'm not sure where this leaves things at the moment. Anyone got any ideas?

Chow

Niel

Return to “MSTS News With A South African Flavour.....”