A day of Steam at Reefsteamers 23 May 2010

Photos of Reefsteamers! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
Derek Walker

A day of Steam at Reefsteamers 23 May 2010

Post by Derek Walker »

I was at Reefsteamers today as I had heard that all their working loco's would be in action. And what a day it was.
It was also my first glimpse of the 15F 3046 (tentatively named Elizabeth), and she is beautiful. There was double headed action with her an 25NC Elize shunting the Siuthern Cross coaches.... and, wait, let some of the pics speak for themselves.
Reefsteamers, your new loco is a beaut!
15F 3046 with 25NC Elize in the background. Elize would take the train into the depot while 3046 would shunt the flat cars to throw away the rubbish.
15F 3046 with 25NC Elize in the background. Elize would take the train into the depot while 3046 would shunt the flat cars to throw away the rubbish.
15f25nc.JPG (148.93 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
3046 waiting for the train to pass before picking up the last flat cars
3046 waiting for the train to pass before picking up the last flat cars
3046alone.JPG (131.1 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Flat cars coupled she is waiting for the word go. The throwing away of rubbish took place outside the RS depot on one of the spurs.
Flat cars coupled she is waiting for the word go. The throwing away of rubbish took place outside the RS depot on one of the spurs.
flats.JPG (129.22 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
While this was going on, 25NC was uncoupled and taken to the running shed which was occupied by 12AR Susan. Susan was pulled out of the shed and Elize swapped places to have her fire drawn and be bedded down for the evening.
While this was going on, 25NC was uncoupled and taken to the running shed which was occupied by 12AR Susan. Susan was pulled out of the shed and Elize swapped places to have her fire drawn and be bedded down for the evening.
elizedone.JPG (173.3 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Susan is on the left with Elize on the right. Its a rare occasion to have both these locos in steam at once.
Susan is on the left with Elize on the right. Its a rare occasion to have both these locos in steam at once.
shed2.JPG (104.06 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Not quite on the rails.
Check out my train vids. http://www.youtube.com/user/nixops
Derek Walker

Re: A day of Steam at Reefsteamers 23 May 2010 (Part 2)

Post by Derek Walker »

Once Elize was in the shed 3046 then was run into the spot that she had just vacated and her fires were drawn. Susan was then backed up and coupled onto the tender of 3046. She was destined to be put back into the workshop, probably for additional work.
3046 in front 12AR 1535 at the back. Note the size difference.
3046 in front 12AR 1535 at the back. Note the size difference.
3046susan.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
3046 had her fires drawn, Susan then headed onto the ballon to turn 3046 around and move onto the workshop lines.
3046 had her fires drawn, Susan then headed onto the ballon to turn 3046 around and move onto the workshop lines.
ballon.JPG (123.17 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Once 3046 had been uncoupled Susan then backed down the line onto one balloon and the "little Green Critter" made her appearance.
Once 3046 had been uncoupled Susan then backed down the line onto one balloon and the "little Green Critter" made her appearance.
hunslett.JPG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Not quite on the rails.
Luca Lategan

Re: A day of Steam at Reefsteamers 23 May 2010

Post by Luca Lategan »

3046 is definately my newest favourite loco!!! She looks absolutely splendid!

Unfortunately due to the RSR she can't run without smoke deflectors like previously planned.

Even though her pipes aren't polished at all she still looks wonderfull. The rods look good (no graphite, just buffing with a sanding thingamagic!) the wheels still need their buffer treatment.
Luca Lategan...
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

3 Lines into the workshop had been opened, and 3046 was now ocupying one of them. The little green critter was there to draw the Lyndie-Lou from the one line and move her to the other.
Lyndie-Lou vacates the line she has occupied while having her boiler prepared for inspection.
Lyndie-Lou vacates the line she has occupied while having her boiler prepared for inspection.
garratt.JPG (110.59 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Dwarfing the small Hunslett, the Garratt is moved down the line to the points.
Dwarfing the small Hunslett, the Garratt is moved down the line to the points.
garratt02.JPG (148.9 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Here you can see how small one green critter is, and how big the other is.
Here you can see how small one green critter is, and how big the other is.
garratt03.JPG (154.86 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
And then it was time for me to go home. What an awesome afternoon it was. 3 Locos in Steam, 2 double headers, and the Garratt in all her glory, yet there was one loco that Reefsteamers has that I always visit when I am at the depot, and that is Rusty Rosie (12R 1947). A distant cousin of 12AR 1535. She has been stripped down and Reefsteamers is looking at her as a long term preservation project. I promised her I would sneak in a pic of her so that she doesnt get forgotten.
Rusty Rosie, stripped of her cab and boiler shell. Waiting....
Rusty Rosie, stripped of her cab and boiler shell. Waiting....
rustyrosie.JPG (95.58 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Not quite on the rails.
Derek Walker

Post by Derek Walker »

Luca,
You are right, she is beautiful, and once RS gets the cotton waste and brasso out she is going to really look stunning. It is a pity about the smoke deflectors though. I know Attie was looking at her with a critical eye and when she does make her debut she is going to really turn heads.
Not quite on the rails.

Return to “Reefsteamers”