Gautrain ride

Photos of the Gautrain System! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest may be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
Aidan McCarthy

Gautrain ride

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

A group of Reefsteamers members and friend took a trip from Sandton to Rhodesfield and back. Sandton station was very busy with lots of people using the train to OR Tambo. This resulted in queues to get the gold card (ticket) for the train. Sandton station is still very much under construction but there are lots of officials to guide you to the platforms. The accleration of the train out of the stations is very impressive and a very quiet ride even when doing 160 km/h. Only problem with the ride is that it is too short, can't wait for the rest of the system to open.

Speaking to the guides I found them very knowleagable and they seemed to have a real pride in the Gautrain, something that has been missing from Transnet for many years.

A couple of my colleagues who live in Kempton Park used the train and buses to get to work in Sandton this morning and were very impressed and said that for them the commute is value for money and low stress compared to driving.

I have included a few photos at Sandton and Rhodesfield stations.
Attachments
_DSC4728_fotr.jpg
_DSC4728_fotr.jpg (125.48 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
_DSC4745_fotr.jpg
_DSC4745_fotr.jpg (123.3 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
_DSC4773_fotr.jpg
_DSC4773_fotr.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
Aidan McCarthy

See more of my railway photos at http://mccarthyam.rrpicturearchives.net/
Marc Russell

Re: Gautrain ride

Post by Marc Russell »

Looks amazing!!
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Looks great, Aidan, and thanks for the interesting comments on Gautrain. Another South African rail discussion board (which shall remain nameless!) is full of negative sniping at Gautrain, so it's great to see something positive (as usual!) on the FOTR forum.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

There's a nice picture of the Gautrain by Eugene Armer on Railpictures.Net:

(Click on thumbnail for larger picture)
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

It is nice to see that the Gautrain now runs. The train has an interesting shape for South African trains.
Is the service to OR Tambo now already a regular service?
Thank you for the pictures.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

As far as I know, Andreas, it's now a regular service from O R Tambo to Sandton, but not yet to Jo'burg and Pretoria. Those are due to open in 2011, I believe.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

Regular service between OR Tambo, Rhodesfield, Marlboro and Sandton between 05:30 and 19h30. During peak times every 12 minutes and off-peak and weekend every 30 mins
Aidan McCarthy

Steve Appleton
Site Admin

Post by Steve Appleton »

Interesting that Eugene's pic clearly shows how short the ORT platform is and that only the rearmost two coaches can be located on platform. This means that the Gautrain service to the airport could never use more than two coaches -- a bit short-sighted, surely? A small platform and stairway has been provided down the track for the driver to exit the cab, presumably to change ends.
BTW, stunning pic, Eugene... you really have a way with a camera and railway photography!
"To train or not to train, that is the question"
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

In UK now many trains have "selective door opening", where only doors on the platform are opened at certain stations with shorter platforms. I think it works on GPS technology.
Aidan McCarthy

Post by Aidan McCarthy »

The 2 airport carriages from Sandton don't open at Marlboro or Rhodesfield. Strange the OR Tambo station is so small as the other stations have plenty of room to take longer trains.
Aidan McCarthy

allanroy

Post by allanroy »

On Wednusday 16 June I got to ride the Gautrain from OR Tambo airport to Sandton and back. What can I say about the train WOW. It is so smooth and fast, tells you what station is next via electonic signs as well as voice announcement. Even the sign boards in the stations warn you when a train is approaching the station. From the airport to station was 15 minutes. Only two coaches are for the airport and the doors to those coaches only open at the airport and Sandton.
We even had a announcement by the train driver to inform us that we where now travelling at 160kmh, and it does not feel like it at all.

These little platforms are there to allow the driver to get into the train at the airport station as the last two coaches stop outside the station

OR Tambo airport station

The train is approaching the airport station

very smart

The airport coaches are marked on the doors.

Information board in the train

Train Rules

looking down into Sandton Station

The train going in the opposite direction. Not so easy to take photos from a train thats windows dont open and travels so fast.
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Hi Allan, a great set of pics. I thought those little platforms were for changing Tablets. Ha Ha
Christopher King

Post by Christopher King »

Is the track gauge 1065mm or standard guage?
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

Standard gauge
Craig Duckham

Post by Craig Duckham »

Personally I think they should have the gold card for regular users but a normal paper ticket from the machine for one off users. This is silly that all have to have the card.

Return to “Gautrain”