Purple all the the way

Photos of Southern African Electric Motive Power! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space. If you have photos of FOTR Engines and Stock, please post them in the FOTR Gallery in the Friends of the Rail Forum above.
fanie kleynhans

Purple all the the way

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Hi all, last Friday afternoon I went to Joostenbergvlakte, waiting for the CPT to PE Premie Classe. Big was my surprise when the 2 locos were both purple, have never seen 2 working together.
Attachments
IMG002_purple.jpg
IMG002_purple.jpg (102.08 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Craig Duckham

Re: Purple all the the way

Post by Craig Duckham »

Great shot Fanie.

Has anybody caught the Premier Classe recently? With so many services facing the chop. The Durban service was really empty each time I caught it. The Cape Town - Joburg one was always busy.

Any reports would be appreciated.
Dylan Knott

Post by Dylan Knott »

Normal SM last week inbound to CT was worked by purple 6E1's. This was on a Sunday. Have also seen another SM train hauled by one orange and one purple 6E1.
hansieswart

Post by hansieswart »

Hallo Craig

We will be travelling on the CPT-PE Premier Classe tomorrow (Friday 6 Aug). Will give some impressions next week, because I will only be back at the computer then. Anything specific that you would want me to be on the lookout for?

Regards,
Hansie
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Nice shot Fanie. Craig they are pushung up the prices all the time. Its now over R2.000 one way. Even November is just below that. When I met you on the Prem two years ago we paid R1.100 .
Craig Duckham

Post by Craig Duckham »

Hansie, basic information about how well the train is patronised. The PE - CPT service is going to be my next one and possibly the CPT - Jozi again. But with so many things under the threat of the axe. April might be too late.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Post by John Ashworth »

I'm hoping to travel once again on Premier Classe from Jo'burg to Cape Town later this month and will report on the journey.
Chris Janisch

Post by Chris Janisch »

Word is that PRASA intercity services will not last more than 2 years unless govt subsidies for them are increased markedly. As usual, govt wants the trains to run but are not willing to pay for them!
hansieswart

Post by hansieswart »

Hi Craig,

The promised feedback on our CPT-PE trip with Premier Classe:

I write this with some confusion as I was planning to give you a very positive report, until I read in the paper today that Shosholoza Meyl's trains are grounded. The report in Die Burger is so vague, however, that I can't make much of it, so back to my own experience of this past weekend.

The whole trip was a very pleasant experience. The accommodation was excellent, the food good and the service friendly and efficient. Train Manager Pieter Cupido and catering manager Millie Stander went out of their way to ensure our comfort and satisfaction. The train was reasonably full: 70 passengers out of a possible 80 (Cpt-Pe) and reportedly even fuller on the return (Pe-Cptn). The staff indicated that the withdrawal of the train for the duration of the World Cup (during which time it stood completely idle, apparently) cost them a lot of bookings and it is only now slowly picking up momentum. They all insisted, however, that this specific CPT-PE route was quite popular and fairly well patronised. The train appeared to be in fairly good shape - except for a somewhat faded purple on the outside. Inside, it was only the air-con in our lounge/dining coach which was not working. There were warm showers and clean toilets and electricity throughout.

We departed exactly on time (15h00) at Cape Town behind 2 electrics, stood for an hour at Worcester to change to two class 33 (I think) Diesels, which took us to Voorbaai, where we exchanged for two class 34 (I think) diesels - one of which took us all the way to PE (I will explain shortly why I say: "one"). Driver changes took place at Worcester (18h00), Karringmelksrivier (23h00), Voorbaai (04h00), Oudtshoorn (09h00) and Klipplaat (14h00).

We (or rather I - as I seem to be the only passenger on the trip who reads the FOTR forum) had some anxious minutes on the Outeniqua Pass above George. The train came to a standstill halfway up the pass at some time between 5 and 6 in the morning. I woke up from the sudden jerking and screeching of brakes as the train ran backwards and was stopped by the brakes. We were at the very back of the train and leaning out of the window, I could only hear the diesel revving up somewhere ahead in the darkness. Several times the train started to move a few metres, simply to come to a halt, start rolling backwards and then jerk to a stand as the brakes work their way down the coaches. The first thing that came to mind, was that we were having brake problems (especially since the previous evening we stopped at Jubilee, close to Swellendam, to allow the driver's assistant to walk up and down the train with a flashlight searching for a disconnected vacuum pipe) and the second thing that came to mind was the recent Rovos accident. It sounds somewhat paranoic now, I know, but the thought of that train running back down the Outeniqua Pass was very vivid and valid at the time. I convinced the rest of our group to at least put on shoes while I stood calculating how much rolling back would justify a hasty disembarking. I would rather stand in the dark alongside the tracks at 5 in the morning wearing a Premier Classe complimentary gown, than join the roller coaster back down to George! On the other hand: a premature jump would result in being left behind halfway up the pass - wearing only a Premier Classe complimentary gown.
Eventually, after many attempts and what felt like a very long time, the driver managed to start the train again and keep it moving - slowly picking up speed.

At the top of the pass (Camfer), we stopped for another hour and was already 90 minutes late at Oudtshoorn. Here I was told by the driver what really happened: the front unit of the 2 diesels failed in the pass. His attempts to start the train with only the second unit (pushing the first and pulling 15 coaches) were mostly unsuccessful as this one unit kept slipping. (the rolling backwards, I later thought, was presumably to spread sand on the tracks?). When he finally managed to get going again, he went as far as Camfer and there turned the two Diesels around so that the failed one was at the back of the working one. This combination took us to PE as there were no other units in the section and the failed one would have to go there for repairs anyway.

So, I suffered from unnecessary "FOTR Forum-induced Panic" - proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! In fact, the driver assured me : "The brakes would have lasted at least a week"

I have no inside knowledge of the economics of train operation, but my own rough calculation brings me to an average R 100 000 turnover for a one-way trip CPT-PE (assuming reasonable patronage) and I seriously doubt whether you could move that train with all that goes with it (up to 20 staff, food, bedding, maintenance, cleaning, safety, etc.) over that distance for R 100 000. I therefore encourage everyone I meet, to do it - and do it soon, as I cannot see how it could last in it's present form. I hope I'm wrong, because eating lunch while looking out at the Karoo between Willowmore and Klipplaat, is an experience that may probably not be duplicated anywhere else in the world.

Hope that motivates you to start booking!
Stefan Andrzejewski

Post by Stefan Andrzejewski »

Thanx Hansie that was great feedback. How late were you when you eventually got to PE. I can't see how they would have started these Premier Classe routes if they knew that they were not going to cover the cost of the train. This train as you know only runs once a week making its viability even worse. I am sure that the scenery must be spectacular. When the bank balance improves later this year we hope to do it. WE (my wife and I have done the Jhb - Ct) twice. I found the service excellent, but the amount of food they present to you is staggering. On both trips I rolled of the train I was so full. Maybe that could streamline the menu to cut some costs.
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

@ Fanie: Nice picture of the Premier Class. It looks really great in the sun.

@hansieswart: Interesting report of your trip. I could imagine it. It is really a roller coaster route. I did it last year from Oudtshoorn to Campfer by these this van:
Attachments
The big Power van collected the two smaller power van's at Campfer. 13.11.2009
The big Power van collected the two smaller power van's at Campfer. 13.11.2009
IMG_1797.jpg (128.47 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
hansieswart

Post by hansieswart »

Stefan,

We were still 90 minutes late at PE (same as at Oudtshoorn) because the last leg from Klipplaat down to PE is rather easy going with few sharp curves and very little rising gradients. It's basically a long gentle downhill on track in far better condition than the Worcester - Voorbaai section. I think the driver made up time even with only one working unit.
You are right about the food - I forgot to mention that it's definitely not in short supply. I doubt, however, if less food would tip the scale towards economic viability. My guess is that the food is insignificant compared to the other costs of the trip.

Andreas,

I'm glad you agree about the roller-coaster. But if a train should run away down that pass, it will probably not go very far: the curves will see to that!

Regards,
Hansie
Andreas Umnus

Post by Andreas Umnus »

Yes I agree. Here are some curves seen from George to Campfer.

And don't forget the rocks on the side.

I saw just that I made a mistake in my previous posting. I was too fascinated of your report. I did the journey from George to Campfer.
Attachments
And the last curve I took a photo of.
And the last curve I took a photo of.
IMG_1790.jpg (190.98 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Another curve on trhe way to Campfer.
Another curve on trhe way to Campfer.
IMG_1789.jpg (185.59 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
Curve on the George to Campfer line.
Curve on the George to Campfer line.
IMG_1787.jpg (181.29 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
fanie kleynhans

Post by fanie kleynhans »

Very nice report Hansie, did you pass any freight trains along the way between Worcester and Voorbaai perhaps? Sometimes late on a Friday night there is one running but not always.
hansieswart

Post by hansieswart »

Fanie,

We certainly didn't pass any trains on the Worcester-Voorbaai section while I was awake, but I did sleep from after Karringmelks up until the fun in the Outeniqua Pass (except for a few waking minutes at Voorbaai).

So, it may have been during those few hours - otherwise, no.

Hansie

Return to “South Africa - Electric Motive Power”