Travelling Trainman in Thailand - April 2011

Photos of motive and rolling stock, stations, signals and anything else train related to Asia and the Middle East! Photos should be 800x600 pixels, maximum size 130K. Very good ones will be moved to the Online Gallery, the rest will be pruned away after 14 days to conserve space.
John Ashworth
Site Admin

Travelling Trainman in Thailand - April 2011

Post by John Ashworth »

Photos and captions by Nathan Berelowitz. All photos taken on 24th April 2011.

I can't guarantee that I've posted them all in the right order, but I can confirm that at least the right caption is with each photo.
Attachments
The ticket booth at the Suvarnabhumi airport where passengers can get the high speed Airport Link or all stops City Link sets to the city centre. This is the Gautrain of the East.
The ticket booth at the Suvarnabhumi airport where passengers can get the high speed Airport Link or all stops City Link sets to the city centre. This is the Gautrain of the East.
DSCN2611.jpg (56.93 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The turnstiles. After picking the destination station, one receives a round disc that gets swiped on an electronic pad at the turnstile and then inserted in the turnstile at the destination, so as to allow one through. Nice and clean with security personel at all stops ready to assist with unfamiliar passengers.
The turnstiles. After picking the destination station, one receives a round disc that gets swiped on an electronic pad at the turnstile and then inserted in the turnstile at the destination, so as to allow one through. Nice and clean with security personel at all stops ready to assist with unfamiliar passengers.
DSCN2610.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The interior of the City Liner train set. I chose to stand. There are warning lights at the doors to denote the doors are opening or closing and a buzzer will sound as further warning.
The interior of the City Liner train set. I chose to stand. There are warning lights at the doors to denote the doors are opening or closing and a buzzer will sound as further warning.
DSCN2614.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
At speed from the train. Muggy Bangkok  approaches. It is still early and the city sleeps.
At speed from the train. Muggy Bangkok approaches. It is still early and the city sleeps.
DSCN2616.jpg (43.32 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The small disc used for the turnstiles. Sorry about the poor picture quality.
The small disc used for the turnstiles. Sorry about the poor picture quality.
DSCN2617.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Makkassan railway workshops. If you look closely near the road on the left,  a bit way up from the orange colour building, you will see a tank locomotive. The only operational steam is at the Thonburri depot, but there are a number of dumped locomotives in this area.
Makkassan railway workshops. If you look closely near the road on the left, a bit way up from the orange colour building, you will see a tank locomotive. The only operational steam is at the Thonburri depot, but there are a number of dumped locomotives in this area.
DSCN2623.jpg (42.12 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The City Line set, looks smart.
The City Line set, looks smart.
DSCN2625.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The destination station for me. There is also a connecting station for the BTS Skytrain system.
The destination station for me. There is also a connecting station for the BTS Skytrain system.
DSCN2630.jpg (76.99 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The City Line set disgorges its passengers. Some, like me, will shlep their luggage to their hotels or get a Taxi if it is too far to walk. By now it is very humid.
The City Line set disgorges its passengers. Some, like me, will shlep their luggage to their hotels or get a Taxi if it is too far to walk. By now it is very humid.
DSCN2626.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
German built and looks very smart.
German built and looks very smart.
DSCN2628.jpg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The business end.
The business end.
DSCN2629.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The turnstiles at the exit. Here one gets rid of the small disc obtained earlier. So nice and clean.
The turnstiles at the exit. Here one gets rid of the small disc obtained earlier. So nice and clean.
DSCN2631.jpg (69.96 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Looking from where my accommodation was towards the train line. It was a short walk, but this is still early and the terrible traffic levels make walking with luggage an obstacle course!
Looking from where my accommodation was towards the train line. It was a short walk, but this is still early and the terrible traffic levels make walking with luggage an obstacle course!
DSCN2632.jpg (71.51 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Final train photo in the alternate motive power section. Here we see the BTS Skytrain system that traverses most of the city via two routes. Delightfully air-conditioned and very frequent.
Final train photo in the alternate motive power section. Here we see the BTS Skytrain system that traverses most of the city via two routes. Delightfully air-conditioned and very frequent.
DSCN2641.jpg (96.61 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
The view of the BTS station named MO CHIT. This is the terminus for the one line and people use this to get to the busy weekend market. The top level is the train and the second level is a concourse with shops and ticket machines<br />and the turnstiles.
The view of the BTS station named MO CHIT. This is the terminus for the one line and people use this to get to the busy weekend market. The top level is the train and the second level is a concourse with shops and ticket machines
and the turnstiles.
DSCN2643.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Nathan Berelowitz

Re: Travelling Trainman in Thailand - April 2011

Post by Nathan Berelowitz »

Thank you, the order is correct!

Return to “Asia and Middle East - Photo Gallery”