8.N Scale garage layout

A Forum that is covering a build of an American N Gauge layout by F Kleynhans.
fanie kleynhans

8.N Scale garage layout

Post by fanie kleynhans »

This is how I built the signals: I cut copper tubing into small pieces, glued a very small piece of hardboard at the bottom for a base. Then soldered the ground leg of a red/green 3mm LED onto the copper tubing, at the other end a piece of wire was soldered. Then 2 wires gets pushed through the tubing and soldered onto the other legs of the LED. For the back of the signal I glued a washer over the LED and for the lens cover (not sure what this is called) I cut a straw to fit over. And finally built a ladder out of small plastic strips and glued that onto the back. The circuit that I used I got from here:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/xComp555photo.html

In case anyone wants to built it give me a shout, you need to make a small modification to it. But as I said in the previous post, not perfect signals but they definitely add something to the layout.

And to do the level crossing lights I took copper tubing again, made a hole where I want to put the LED (these are 3mm red flashing LED's). I soldered the one leg again onto the copper and a wire onto the other that gets feed through the tubing and at the other end a current limiting resistor. And the LED then also get a washer and piece of straw like the signals.
Attachments
Starting the first signal.
Starting the first signal.
05052011100_signal1.jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
The finished signal.
The finished signal.
IMG0351_signal6.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
The circuit box for the signals.
The circuit box for the signals.
IMG0308_signal3.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Starting the level crossing lights.
Starting the level crossing lights.